Friday, July 26, 2019

Orientation Week Finis

This was the last day of my orientation week. I'm exhausted. It's worse for me to sit for seven or eight hours a day in front of a computer than it is for me to be run around doing different things all the time. I think my actual job will be more running around.
These little volunteer sunflowers popped up in the garden. Every morning their happy little faces greet me. This one had sheltered a little napping bee overnight. Poor little guy. I hope he was okay.

I actually finished all my learning modules today--a miracle--or at least the ones that were on my plate when I left the facility for the day. I expect more will be added by next week. There will probably be enough down time after I start so that I can work on whatever new ones crop up. As I sat at the computer, today, hour after hour, I had to remind myself that I was getting paid. It takes a tiny bit of the sting out of it.
I also had time to finish up some new hire things online, arranging to have my paycheck direct deposited into our account, filling out tax forms, and emailing parking services to have my parking pass changed. I'm now paying $400 a year for parking--yes, four hundred American dollars--but I will have rock star parking. Without the permit change, I was paying $260 a year to park at a distant, unpaved lot and ride the shuttle to work (which takes 15-20 minutes on a good day, adding 30-40 minutes to my twelve-and-a-half hour work day, really). With the new parking pass, I'll be parking pretty much in front of the building where I'll be working, which is unheard of at this organization. (I'm not at the main hospital.) Seriously. Many of the doctors don't park closer to the hospital than I do (though many of them park closer than the patients can) and they pay around $2,000 a year for their parking.  It's worth the extra $140 a year to me to park close, especially in winter, when I'll be arriving and leaving work in the dark.
After I finished for the day, Dave picked me up and we came home. I had enough time to change out of my scrubs and to feed the dogs. Then we headed back out to pick up Grace for dinner. We went out for Greek food and I had something besides chicken. (I've been eating a lot of chicken recently, taking chicken sandwiches for lunch and having chicken and salad for dinner.) Chris has been sick with a stomach virus, so she stayed home, but Grace, Dave and I went out and chatted and had a good time (even though I was so tired that I just wanted to go to sleep at the table).
It started to rain as we were driving home and was turning into quite a storm by the time we dropped Grace off at her place. Dave and I had to run an errand for my brother and by then it was raining hard. We ran into and out of the store, trying--and failing--to dodge the raindrops.

The rain is nice but intense. The thunder scares the dogs. (I had to dose them with CBD oil last night, which helps them a bit.) The rain cools everything off, though. It was into the nineties today and now I'm sitting here kind of chilled in my damp clothes. (Of course I'm sitting under an air conditioner vent and drinking a giant, icy drink, which might be contributing to my feeling cold.)

I want to relax for a bit, but I'm feeling a bit restless, too. I've done not much else but stress about the new job all week, even in my down time. I'd like to just stretch out and get a full night's sleep (ha!).

No comments: