Monday, April 27, 2020

Postcards from the Edge

My brother is in the hospital again.

The last couple of days I made masks until I couldn't make masks anymore and then I started making postcards out of the fabric leftover from cutting out masks. I'm not very good at it, as you can see. But I signed up for a mailing list to send mail to people who need some human connection while they're self-isolating at home, and I thought it would be nice to send something hand/home made.
This was the first postcard I made. (You can click for a larger view, I think.) They're no great shakes, but maybe someone will appreciate the idea/spirit in them. If not, oh well, they're welcome to toss them out without a second thought.
I mean, they're made with scraps that would have gone into the bin anyway, right?
That lime green is among my favorite colors. Those are scraps as dug out of my scrap bucket that sits at my feet as I'm cutting out masks. I didn't alter them except to trim them at the edges that hung over the paper backing (drawing paper) that I was using as a substrate.
The calavera is printed right at the unusable selvage edge of the fabric and the Wonder Woman is the offcut from a mask I made my friend Grace.
Starting to get less abstract; my take on a santuario. The rose fabric is leftovers of leftovers, originally used in the first therapy quilt I made, then used to make masks, now used to make postcards. The Madonnas were from the cut edge of the fabric I used to make the mask in my last blog entry. The calavera comes from the edge of the fabric I made my and Kelly's masks from. The dark blue is from the whale fabric I used to make my aunt's masks.
Me again.
Here's a selfie taken as Dave was dropping off my brother's prescriptions. I was passing the time in the car by taking selfies in one of my new masks. I didn't go inside with Dave because I wanted to limit my brother's exposure to other people. He's in a high risk group were he to get infected with Covid-19. This was taken just before I did end up going inside because I needed to call an ambulance for my brother.

I am exhausted. I go to bed exhausted and I wake up exhausted and nothing of it changes throughout the whole day. 

2 comments:

Helen said...

I hope your brother recovers soon.

And I like your cloth postcards! In Japan you'd have to put them in an envelope to mail them, how about in the US? Japan is very picky with dimensions though.

I like the mask you are wearing as well!

All the best....

Rosa said...

Hi Helen--

Thank you!

I also have to put the postcards in an envelope. I could try without one, but they'd probably reject it. There was an artist years ago who used to mail all kinds of things without any packaging, like bricks and melons, so my postcard should be fine, right? Lol.

How are you doing? I read your blog and it sounds like you're making the best of a bad situation right now. That's all any of us can do, right? Like our grandmothers might say: This too shall pass.

My best to you as well!