Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Slow and Steady

It’s Monday night? I think it’s…no, it’s Tuesday morning. I came to work on Monday night and now it’s Tuesday morning and I am still at work and I am tired. I have two and a half more hours to go and I’m very, very tired.

My cottage is full and my kids are all asleep. They’re good kids right now, most of them. They are with me anyway. I don’t know about the rest of the time. This is why I like working nights. They run around like crazy all day and then by nightfall, they’re ready for bed and that’s my job, to put them to bed. So that’s what I do.

What else has been going on in my life? Not much. I’m very slowly transitioning to the full-time position. It’s not bad and hopefully it’ll slowly get better. My supervisor very excitedly told me about some contract that we can sign that will give us a bonus for working extra shifts and I was, like, that sounds very nice and I sure as hell won’t be doing that. They make it sound like it’s amazing and all it is is extra work. The last thing I want to do is burn out on this job.

Slow and steady wins the race, right?

It’s cold out tonight, and earlier it was very, very windy. Right now it’s breezy, but not howling wind like it was earlier.

I just checked the weather online and the site I like to use is now listing cases of corona virus. There have been 1828 positive cases in my county and 82 deaths. The hospital where I work has several and the ICUs hover between 122% and 130% capacity. There are not enough ICU beds to handle what’s coming.

Over 122,000 Americans have died from this and there is still talk of re-opening to save the economy. You can work your way out of debt, but you can’t work your way out of the grave. Almost every day, I see articles about people who scoff at stay-at-home measures or refuse to wear masks—and then end up with Covid virus. This is the level of science education in our country these days. We fall ever more behind every day.

Slow and steady, right?

So it’s cold now. And quiet. I’ll take it. The quiet and the cold. It’s supposed to climb to 98 today and on my way to work I’ll suffer. That’s okay. By nightfall, it will drop back into the 60s. Another reason to like working nights.

Count my blessings.

No comments: