Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Vote Blue

It snowed. On Monday, it snowed a lot. It's quickly melting, but we had a day or so of this gloriousness. I stayed inside and sewed.

I'm working on a hand-sewing project: One-and-a-half inch paper-pieced hexagons. Pieced hexagons are seen in quilts from the 1770s, but this pattern (called something like Grandmother's Flower Garden) became popular around the Great Depression. (Small wonder that they're popular again now, right?) This photo was taken early on. I have completed five "double flowers" and am starting to connect them with a dark green "path" between the flowers. At each flat intersection is a print of white eggs scattered on a black background. Maybe I'll call my quilt something like "Grandma Raised Chickens."

This is a shot of sunset as I arrived at work week before last.
Stella, the amazing burrito maker at the Lotaburger near my house, often writes me these little messages on my burrito wrapping. I haven't seen her in months. Covid, you know. And we're often stopping for burritos when I'm on my way home from work in the morning.

I just noticed the hexagons on the inside of that burrito wrapper. There you go. Full circle.

We're still wearing our masks and social distancing. We're still doing everything we're supposed to be doing to stop this virus in its path, and we're still watching people not doing a fucking thing to help protect themselves or others and so I get to read the updated numbers of covid patients in the hospital emails each week. The numbers are rising again and they're rising fast. New evidence shows that people can become infected twice and that any antibodies produced from previous infection are last lasting about three months. There may be no such thing as herd immunity when it comes to this virus. A lot of people--a lot more people--are going to die. And from my very limited experience working in research with viruses, this is going to go on for another two years at least. There are going to be millions in this country alone who will die from it before we're done.

Vote blue. 

No comments: