Sunday, March 21, 2021

Even Now

 It's just before five a.m. and I have been up for almost an hour, having coffee and an early morning, pre-breakfast snack, journaling, painting, and reading blogs online. I wrote a to-do list: send a check to my therapist, do some sewing, clear off my desk and put out my paints and drawing supplies...things like that. I don't want to spend the day the same way I did yesterday, in bed, on the internet, napping periodically. Those are good days to have, but string too many of them together and the weight of them is depressing.

Dave seemed to be feeling a tiny bit better by yesterday evening, though he ran a slight fever in the afternoon. It was not hard to convince him to take some acetaminophen and spend the day in bed, resting. Got to keep that immune system revved up and cranking out the anti-Covid antibodies.

And speaking of immune response: Today's pollen report (since I'm sure you were wondering) is juniper and elm at 10.8 out of 11, which falls into the "very high" category. Spring is here! My top two allergens are juniper and elm, just so you know. Though I respond to other pollen to varying degrees. Would it be weird if I never left the house again? "Crazy cat lady shut-in" has a nice ring to it, don't you think? I'd like to see that headline my obituary.

Our little bumble cat is napping on the bed behind me. He goes out and runs around collecting pollen and brings it back indoors with him and then he lolls about on the bed, bathing himself, leaving little pollen deposits all over.  Happy spring!

One more quilt, this one The Shadow Quilt that is a recent finish (from February):

 This was once a rectangular, twin-sized quilt top, but I wanted to try something different, so I cut it up into various sized pieces and added the shadowy figures (using fusible interfacing and raw-edged applique). Then I quilted it and added binding to each piece. Then I sewed the pieces back together pretty much at random, leaving out parts of the original quilt top. You can see that it's not a very practical size or shape, but I still like it. I have a handful of pieces of the original quilt top still (left out because I ran of the fabric I was using to bind it. I have since ordered more, so I may add to this quilt yet. 

I like, as an artist, to bring everything to a point where it's not quite finished, where the question always remains: What more can I do to this? (Hahaha! Just kidding. That stage is one of the more torturous ones, but which has been catching out artists and creators for a long, long time.)

No comments: