Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Grandma

These are the completed panels done both in applique and embroidery. My grandmother drew the pattern on tissue paper and then transferred it to a pillow case using carbon paper and embroidered it. 

For the applique, I took the pattern (now extremely fragile, as it's about twenty years old), photocopied it, and traced it onto tracing paper. Once I had an overall pattern, I traced each piece onto double-sided fusible interfacing, ironed it on to fabric, cut it out and used the overall tracing paper pattern to reassemble everything, ironed it all down, then stitched over it. The embroidered pattern was easier to replicate as I traced the photocopy onto tracing paper using an iron-on transfer pencil. Then I ironed on the pattern and embroidered it.   

These are all out of order of creation except for the first one, which faces the "wrong" way because I forgot about the whole mirror image thing for iron-on interfacing. (I replicated the "wrong" one on an embroidery because I liked the effect.)








 

No comments: