Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Fundraiser

There's Gray Kitty, napping on my cutting table, on the quilt that I put up there for him. I was working on one of the quilts while he napped. Of course, I was using the iron that doesn't make him nervous. (I have three irons, one of which has a steam function that he doesn't like the sound of. So when he's up there, I use my small, silent travel iron and a spray bottle.) I like having his company.

Today was a mostly quiet day. I'm not sleeping much at night, so I didn't get to bed until after 6 a.m. and then I slept until around noon. I got up, ate something and took my meds, and then had a shower. We put in an order at Whole Foods for an evening pickup and it was done in the early afternoon, so we just decided to go pick it up. On our way to Whole Foods, we went past the alpaca farm, which now has a sign! I looked up the business online to find that they have a herd of 9 alpacas, including one baby (who is not really a baby anymore) named Mozart (a girl though). Dave has been obsessed with this little baby alpaca (they're called crias) since she was born a little more than a year ago. The farm doesn't have an alpaca petting day unfortunately, but they do walk the alpacas along the ditch bank on the weekend so I told Dave we might have to start walking that ditch bank on the weekends.
 
On the way home, we stopped by Sonic for what should have been a diet soda but which turned out to be not diet. I drank it all--thinking it was sugar-free--and when I got home, I was sick to my stomach. I started on dinner (vegetarian chili beans), but I felt shaky and sweaty so I tested my blood glucose and it was 187! Ugh. No more drinks from Sonic. I got on the elliptical trainer for a short time while Dave was plating up our dinner and I brought my blood sugar down to 121.  (I still, a few hours later, feel a bit sick and I know that it will be a couple of days before everything returns to normal.)

After dinner, I remembered that I had gotten an email in the middle of the night from one of our friend's kids. I have never met this little girl (I think she's around six or seven years old?), as our friend moved to the east coast long before she was born and the one time we met up with him in NYC (just before the pandemic started), he was working that day and therefore solo. Anyway, of course I assumed that the email I received was a hacked email account scam or virus type thing, so I didn't open it. I showed it to Dave and he opened it immediately. (It was on my phone, so really no risk to him, right?) Luckily, it turned out to be legit. Get this:

So my friend's daughter is a Girl Scout and this is an online fundraiser for her troop. She had to find a bunch of adults to send this email to and our friend (who has literally never emailed me since we were both in college) reaching for names, included me. (But not Dave, oddly. Hm. I'll have to ask about that. Maybe his went to his spam folder.) His kid's troop is selling magazines, candy/snacks, and some printed tumblers and travel mug type things online. I was a Girl Scout for years, so I know the pain of fundraiser sales. Back in my day, we were straight up cookie pushers with an occasional bake sale thrown in, but that was pre-internet of course.

At the link in the email, there was a very short recorded message from my friend's daughter that I watched (so that's what she looks like) and a little counter next to her photo saying that she had reached 49% of her sales goal. I told Dave I was going to order some things and he agreed it was a good thing to do. My usual tactic for buying gifts and such is to spend around $100 so I did that now, too. After I placed the order, I was shunted back to her photo and counter which now showed that she had reached 143% of her goal!

Dave had been texting back and forth with our friend who told him that her goal had been $100 in sales. Lol. I said, tell him I was a Girl Scout so I am a sucker for any Girl Scout sale, whether it's cookies or magazines or whatever. (Last year, I ordered a handmade Christmas ornament from a friend of a friend's Girl Scout daughter and got this amazing yarn and felt bearded gnome head to hang on my tree.) I hated fundraising so much that if I saw a troop of Girl Scouts knocking over a bank, I'd hold the door open so that they could make a clean getaway, especially if I thought it might help them not have to sell so many cookies that year.

I hated selling cookies. (Eating them, whole other story.)

After all that rigamarole, I had a big snack because my blood sugar is all messed up. Goddamn Sonic.
 

No comments: