Monday, March 30, 2015

Monday We Did Things

Do you know the first line of Norman Mailer's novel The Naked and the Dead?

"Nobody could sleep."

Last night though, it was just me. Dave and the kitties snored away contentedly, but I could not sleep for anything. The casita is so small that I try to be quiet while Dave is sleeping, which means I spend a lot of time reading or surfing the net or watching Netflix. I am a life-long insomniac, so I am familiar with how to stay up all night, but it's tedious sometimes to pass the time quietly.

I finally got to sleep a sometime between 3:00 and 4:00 and woke up around 8:30. Dave was long gone to work. I made sure the cats were both in and I took my medication and, after the right amount of time had passed, had breakfast (cheese on toast and Girl Scout cookies and coffee) then I went back to bed for a few more hours. This time I fell asleep to a David Attenborough narrated documentary about birds. He's got a very calming voice and The Brain likes to listen to him talk about ducklings.

When I got up again, I took a shower, made more coffee, and had some lunch. I had a quinoa patty (we buy them frozen at the co-op, and they're quite tasty) and some veggies (baby carrots, red cabbage, slices of English cucumbers,  grape tomatoes, and a few slices of radishes from our CSA box). I put on makeup because lately I've been falling down on my new year's resolution to wear red lipstick every day.  Today's shade was NARS Scarlet Empress, a very dark purplish red.


Later in the afternoon, I prepped dinner. Tonight I made a kind of slaw using golden beets, red cabbage, and apple with a ginger, garlic, and rice wine vinegar dressing. We also had sauteed kale with garlic and lemon and I steamed the last of our bag of asparagus. To go with all the veggies, I made an onion, green chile, and feta omelet. It was all very tasty, though I never got around to having any slaw, so I'll have some for lunch tomorrow.  Of course I had to round out my dinner with Girl Scout cookies. (Dave is taking the rest of them to work tomorrow to leave on the break table for people to hoover up.)
 
Now of course, I'm back on my computer. Dave is practicing his clarinet since we're actually going out during his usual practice time! We're going to his clarinet teacher's recital at 8:00 pm.

Later

And what about the recital? Well, it was done as one of the requirements Dave's teacher has to fulfill to get her master's degree in music. She played four pieces total and the one ensemble piece was better than the three solo pieces, I thought.

It went on a little longer than I was expecting; we didn't leave the concert hall until almost 9:30.

After, David wanted a snack---I did, too---so we walked across the street to the Frontier and had burritos and fries. The Frontier used to be one of our hangout spots, but I don't think I've been in there in years. When I was in high school, they used to stay open 24/7 every day but Christmas (now they close from 1:00 a.m. and reopen at 5:00 a.m. and are closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's day) and you could smoke in the front room (you can't smoke indoors anywhere in this city now, by law). But once upon a time, we would go there on Friday and Saturday nights and sit for hours and hours, drinking terrible coffee, eating cinnamon rolls or hash browns, and smoking, smoking, smoking. Sometimes we were just hanging out. Sometimes we were waiting for the midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show to begin at Don Pancho's (they're long gone, too). Later, when we were all in college, we would go and sit for hours studying. Or gossiping. Or people watching. It's a good spot for it.

Anyway, we took our little trip down memory lane, had our burritos and fries, and then we came home, got immediately into our pajamas, and were in bed by 10:20. We're old now!

No comments: