Monday, April 27, 2015

Mondaze and Rain

It's still overcast today and perhaps we'll get some rain later in the afternoon. I know the saying is that April showers bring May flowers, but I'm more worried about April showers bringing May weeds.

The hummingbirds seem to love the cool weather. They zoom around chirping at one another and visit the feeder frequently. We planted a red salvia near the feeder as a kind of second, natural feeder, and a couple of days ago, Dave saw one of them visit the enormous purple salvia that is growing in the same pot as one of our cottonwood trees. I love those little birds.

I had an early therapy session this morning and I have to say that I like this new therapist, but I'm still not convinced that she's worth the asking price. I don't know. I may just hang on for a couple of months rather than trying to find a new therapist, a daunting proposition any time, much less when I'm already feeling down.

Oh! And while I was getting ready to leave the house this morning, I got a call from the doctor's office. They've come up with a diagnosis that is supported by lab tests (the last one wasn't) and the doctor had called in a prescription to the nearby pharmacy. So that's good. I picked up the medication on the way home from the therapist's office (along with a couple of cheap Jordana lipsticks and a $2 pack of colorful Bic pens as a kind of post-therapy reward).

I came home and had a burger for lunch and then got a big pot of bolita beans going on the stove. If we don't have them tonight (I'm thinking tacos for tonight), I'll make bean soup for dinner tomorrow.

The diet is going well. I did a sneaky mid-week weigh-in just to see how things are progressing and I'm down a little more than two pounds since my last weigh in. I also added in a few more calories (points, actually) to my daily intake, which made things a bit easier on me. When I first started, I sat down and went through and wrote out an idealized "schedule," how many pounds I expected to lose per week, when I would step down points-wise, and so on. It's been almost a month and so far things have progressed according to plan--though of course I expect bumps down the road from time to time.

Dinner did turn out to be tacos. I made them with tempeh and a relatively low-salt spice mix (red chile powder, cayenne, Tabasco sauce, black pepper, minced garlic, oregano, cumin, ketchup, vegetarian Worcestershire sauce, and a bit of Better than Bouillon). We had that with blue corn taco shells, shredded cabbage, salsa fresca (tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, garlic, salt and pepper), cheddar cheese, and a bit of plain yogurt (since we were out of sour cream). I had a small bowl of the bolita beans on the side, too. I don't know that I would make tempeh tacos again, but it was nice to try something new with tempeh (since it is a low-sodium vegetarian source of protein).

After dinner, we went out and did a bit more work on the patio. There are still plants that need to be put into pots, but we did get a few in before the rain started. My big excitement: I was leaning over, planting in one of the beds, and got an awful cramp in my abdomen. I have no idea what prompted it, but, man, it was painful enough to take my breath away. I had to come in and lay across the bed to stretch out before it calmed down. Maybe it was the ghost of Joseph Pilates come to remind me to get back to class. (That's tomorrow.)

No comments: