Thursday, July 30, 2015

Scream Your Way Out

This post comes to you from my earliest birthday present: a new computer!

Dave chose (with my input), a new Macbook Pro with a huge screen. It arrived this afternoon, after dinner, we unboxed it and did the basics to set it up and get started. (I have yet to move all my music and photos.) It's a really beautiful bit of technology!

My old computer looks a bit forlorn now, sitting there on the shelf, so I may pull it out and use it for awhile when I'm done here. (I know most people don't think that objects have feelings, but most people are wrong.)

Two other boxes came along today, too. One was a shipment of soap from Mrs. Meyers (they were having a sale and they had free shipping!). The other was a box from Sephora filled with treats. I got two new lipsticks from Besame (in Red Velvet and Besame Red), a new eyebrow pencil from Anastasia of Beverly Hills (the brand is quite pricy, but they have the best eyebrow products I've ever used), a new moisturizer from Clinique (that--que milagro--doesn't seem to set off an allergic response) and a handful of samples including a peel-off face mask from Boscia that is black as coal (can't wait to use that one). (I ordered all this over a week ago and, a few days ago, my aunt gave me a Sephora gift card for my birthday. So I can order another round of luxury treats!)

So it was quite a pre-birthday gift haul!

The rest of the day was quiet. Oh! Except that this morning, after Dave left for work and I went back to bed for an hour to try to catch up on some sleep, I had a crazy dream that I screamed my way out of. In the dream, a huge animal--a kind of buffalo?--had bitten into my right hand and was tearing away at it.

Of course I couldn't sleep again after that, so I looked up the imagery online to try to find a meaning to the dream. I think it has to do with some recent insight that has been painful--the pain of being "right."

I got up, had something to eat, did a few chores, and took a shower. I also did a bit of online shopping with an Amazon gift certificate my mother sent my for my birthday. (I've got two novels by Natsuo Kirino, a book by Donald Winnicot, and a book of Alison Bechdel's comic strips in my cart).

I was a bit disappointed in how yesterday's green chile stew came out (not hot enough, a bit too sweet from using fresh tomatoes), so in the afternoon I doctored it up (added lots more green chile, potatoes, and vegetarian bouillon). Then I started dinner (a caprese salad and grilled slices from a whole wheat boule). Dave was home late, but dinner was on the table when he got here. He went out to get some basil for me though; since the mosquitoes have declared war on my hide, I've been avoiding going out in the mornings and evenings.

I haven't posted a picture in awhile, so here's one I took this past week:
20150726_132911.jpg
That was one that I finished awhile ago but broke. This past weekend, I glued her back together (it was only one of the ends of the hair that broke off) and took this picture. I think this was really the first of the new style that I truly liked, partly because of the expression, partly because of the textural variation, partly because she just seemed finished (unlike the others who seem to endlessly demand attention in the form of firing after firing). She's small--probably six inches tall?--and I'm thinking I'll bring her home and keep her.


No comments: