Sunday, July 26, 2009

Duende

A project inspired by this recent estate sale find:

Altar'd Book

Who is Mrs. Murphy, I wonder. No matter. I hollowed out the novel because I want to turn it into a shrine.

Altar'd Book

I want the shrine to retain as much of its bookness as possible, so I glued the hollowed out portion but left the page edges unglued so you can still rifle the edges if you want.

Mixed Media-Altar'd Books

Then using the paper I cut from the center and a sketch I made of the Virgin of Guadalupe reading a book, I started constructing the inside.

The Virgin, Reading

The Virgin is a bit cartoonish, but no matter. She's got her reading glasses on and she's enjoying a good book. (Not The good book; I imagine she's caught up in a text on molecular spectroscopy. (Which I only say because I have been perusing a text about molecular spectroscopy and I was thrilled to read about the conditions under which some molecules can be made to phosphoresce.)

Here's a closer view after I assembled her and added some gold paper.

Altar'd Book

I also used the pages I cut out of the book to make these paper roses.

Mixed Media-Altar'd Books

With any luck, all the currently glued pieces should be dry by tomorrow. Then I can assemble my altar'd book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is an amazing Rose, ROSA (no pun intended, or intended cause...well it is amazing).

What will they be? Jewelry? A corsage? Hair headband seen in Gossip Girl..?

Rosa said...

Hi, Girl J!

You know, I've never seen Gossip Girl! I just imagine them wearing giant flower headbands like Carrie's brooches on Sex & the City...

No, but las rosas are for my book shrine.