Saturday, July 25, 2009

Recent Crafting

Mixed Media Pin

This little pin is making a small splash over on the flickr embroidery group boards. I made this for Kelly First out of a cereal box (as a base), an old paperback novel, and embroidery thread. I meant it as a reminder to be grateful to trees for books, if that makes any sense. Even when you can't read, you can appreciate the beauty of trees in other ways.

The pin itself is representative of the things I've been trying recently.

Mixed Media Oak Leaf PinMixed Media Pendulum Pin

The simple leaf above and the pendulum are both examples of my own drawings, but the oak leaf is from the iron-on transfers that Kelly scored yesterday at an estate sale.

Here's another sample from that same stash of transfers:

Crazy Frog

Look at that freaky frog. It's like a hypno-toad. It's so creepy. So of course it's the first thing I want to stitch. Maybe I'll put it on a t-shirt for Dave.

And then there's this:

Mixed Media Pin

Another collage/bricolage made from my old journals, text from a paperback novel, part of a Russian textbook (of which I have two copies), bits of gold paper, and a photocopy from my niece's biology textbook. The English text says "It seemed impossible that it should have happened so quickly and yet the Russians were noted for being impulsive." The Russian text, translated, says something like, "We have five rubles. I want a cup of coffee."

Since I've taken that photo, I've painted the outside red (Russian red--get it?) and added some glitter to the edges.

I like it.

No comments: