Thursday, February 18, 2010

db

I spent a few hours at the studio this evening. I actually got quite a bit done. I glazed a bowl and a small sculpture that I made a few days ago. I worked on a vase that I handbuilt last night. I finished painting a bowl and a plate, and I started painting a new platter. I put the finishing touches on three test tiles and sent them off to be electric fired.

This was my desk at the end of the night. Normally I try to tidy up before I leave. (Well, as tidy as anything gets in the studio, which is not very tidy at all.) I hate walking in and having to tidy up before I begin. It's actually quite nice to have my own little workspace because when I look at the communal spaces I know for sure that having to clean up someone else's mess before I could start to work would make me despise humanity more than I already do. This way, it's me in my own little rat's nest and I don't have to clean up anything if I don't want to.

Here's some work, new work, still in the greenware stage:

 
My pulpo bowl, iron oxide painted on greenware.
This is another sampler plate, an octopus, a cat, and a flaming heart (the flame is washed out in this photo).

This is a plate at the bisque stage, with a wash of iron oxide:

This plate and the one above are actually more platter sized than plate sized.

Hmmm. What else can I show you? Oh, here's part of my glaze collection:

 

There's a few underglazes in there, too. Some of them are marked with the mark that Dave and I share, db. We've taken a Lennon/McCartney approach to our pottery making since the late '90s, so everything that either of us makes is marked with db (d for David and b for Brenda obviously). Doesn't matter that our work no longer overlaps (it once did), we still sign the same way.

2 comments:

Girl Japan said...

Ok Mrs.. how did my plate come out?? Look at the octo... it is adorable. You have seriously tapped into something here.

Rosa said...

Hi, Chica! Still waiting on the gas kiln to fire your plate...it's so big it takes a long time to get enough work to fire it. :( Sigh! Everything else is electric, of course. Much faster. :)