Sunday, February 21, 2010

New Work

Some finished work, out of the kiln as of this afternoon:


This flaming heart is a traditional image, of course. I want to do a whole set of flaming heart plates and bowls. This is the first bowl that I've brought all the way through a glaze firing so it's kind of a test piece. I like the heart part of it. The glazing of it was a bit complicated: Black glaze, then wax writing, then red glaze over that. With drying time for the wax, it took about two and a half hours to glaze just the heart part. The area surrounding the heart is too dark, I think, so future plates and bowls will have a much lighter glaze in that part. I like the sandy hued rim on the bowl, though I'll probably switch that up, too.

Here's a wonky picture of another piece from the same kiln:

This calavera is one of the first that's worked, I think. I tried to keep it simple with this one, though she's still got a slew of glazes--nine of them by my count--on there.

No comments: