Tuesday, May 4, 2010

More New Work: A Vase


Another new piece, a vase this time, thrown by David and glazed by me. That is my hand. I held the vase as one holds a vase and I traced around each hand with a pencil. I went over the pencil with wax resist. Then I drew a spiral down the vase from top to bottom and went over that with wax resist. After the wax resist solidified, I glazed the vase.

The inside of the vase is blue. I don't remember the exact glaze I used; perhaps it was mottled blue or croc blue. Now that I think about it, it was probably croc blue. I poured in a pint of glaze, swirled it around, and poured out the excess. The outside of the vase was more complicated and all the glazes were painted on with a brush. First I glazed the hands black. Then I glazed the spiral using a succession of shino glazes (espresso, sandstone, goldenrod, and a few others). Then I wrote in the hands, over the black glaze, with more wax resist. The writing is from Shakespeare, sonnets I think. Or maybe not. After the wax resist solidified, I glazed over it with a green shino. When that was all done, I went back with a squeeze bottle filled with black glaze and I dotted the spiral.

The whole glazing process from start to finish took a few days of time, with much of that time spent either waiting for wax resist to solidify or waiting for The Brain to decide its next move glaze-wise. The actual glazing took several hours of concerted effort. That doesn't count the several weeks from throwing to trimming to drying to bisque firing to deciding to glaze.

Here is the vase, three-sixty:



No comments: