Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Very Packed Day

(If you want to, you can just skip all this and go look at my new work over at Rosa Craft. All you have to do is click >>here<<.)

Dave and I were going to go out to the Tinkertown Museum today, but on the drive out there, we ran into this:

Yes, that is snow. Yes, it is May 2nd. Yes, it is snowing in May. Thank you, global warming!

It'll probably be 90 degrees tomorrow.

So instead of going to Tinkertown, we had a nice drive through the canyon and came back and had lunch at the Pueblo Harvest Cafe at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center. Their kitchen is super slow, but the coffee is really, really good so that makes the wait a little better as far as I'm concerned.

Also, they have serious coffee cups.


That is, like, a twelve-ounce cup of coffee right there. Awesome.

Dave had blue-corn cheese enchiladas and I had stuffed frybread with carne adobada. We shared a small order of frybread. My order of stuffed frybread turned out to be a kind of burrito made with frybread instead of a tortilla. It was so huge that I ended up bringing half of it home. When the waiter packed it up for me, he stood by the table for a long time writing on the box. I don't mean that he just scrawled a quick "Thank you!" on the box. I mean, he took his time and wrote and wrote. When he finally handed it over to us, this was the result:

How awesome is that?

Anyway, prior to that, while we were still waiting for our lunch, we ran into Chris and Lu Ann. They were there to meet the guitarist who is going to play at their wedding in only two short weeks. They sat with us for a few minutes and we talked about their recent trip to New Orleans.

After lunch, Dave went home to chill out and I went to the studio. I had loaded a kiln the night before, so I was looking forward to some new work. When I got to the studio, my kiln was still at 900 degrees, way too hot to unload, so I cracked it with a bit of half-inch kiln shelf and waited. A couple of hours later the temperature had dropped to 600 degrees, so I cracked it open a little more. After a couple more hours it was just under 400 degrees, so I decided to unload. (I'm not very patient.)  It was still hot enough that the leather gloves I was wearing were smoking on the hotter pieces. (Burning leather doesn't smell very good, in case you were wondering.)

So this is one of the new pieces:

That is my diablito, my little devil, with a big grin. (The picture sucks, sadly, because the batteries in my good camera died and I only had my little cell phone camera to work with.)

Dave came to pick me up at 6:00.

We came home and ate some Dave-made channa masala and brown rice for dinner. I love channa masala, which is a kind of hot, citrus-y chickpea and tomato stew from Northern India.

After dinner, we went over to Target to pick up a few things and we ran into Chris. I wrote about Chris recently because his new spawn had a bit of post-birthday trouble and had to spend about a month in the neonatal intensive care unit at the hospital while things got sorted out. I hadn't seen Chris since that happened, so we ended up standing in the freezer aisle at Target for about an hour talking about the little spawn's adventure.

It was a strangely packed day--even strangely snow-packed.

No comments: