Monday, March 9, 2015

Christmas in March

Merry Christmas!
20150309_200246.jpg
That's an ornament that was supposed to've been ready in time for Christmas. Ha! Instead, I used it to test a new textured, low-fire commercial glaze called something like Snowball. You can't really tell the texture from this photo, but it's amazing. I got it because I thought it might have a bone-like appearance, and it does. It almost has the same dry, frothy texture as bleached spongy bone. I know it sounds disgusting, but I love it.

So that was one of the pieces that came out of the kiln we fired yesterday. It was a bisque kiln, so not too exciting, but there was a lot of interesting stuff to consider. Here's a group of small masks that came out. They all need more work of course, but it's a good start.

20150309_200405.jpg

I started sneezing last night around ten p.m. and it didn't stop all night. Finally, around four, I took a half of a benadryl and it knocked me out. As soon as it wore off, I woke up sneezing, so I took another half and it knocked me out.  I don't know what is blooming right now. I think it's probably the row of trees that the neighbors have planted between their house and the casita. I would take an axe to those damn things only a group of hummingbirds habitually nest there in the summer and when they come to the feeder near our front door, they make me very, very happy. So I guess a little bit of misery now will pay off later.

Because of the benadryl haze, I've done not much of anything all day. I had a couple of bananas with soynut butter for lunch, then tried knocking out my lethargy with a couple of cups of coffee. (It didn't work, it just made me jittery and anxious.) I did some dishes, took a shower, that kind of thing, but really all I wanted to do was fall into the kind of prolonged slumber familiar from fairy tales.

Dave came home around 5:00, and we had a quick sandwich before changing for pilates. I asked him if we could go a bit early so I could have a latte from Starbucks before class, so we did. We went so early that we ended up driving around a bit before class, just looking at the houses and yards in the old school, working class neighborhoods near the pilates studio.

Class was fine. I am slowly getting stronger, ab-wise. My progress has slowed since I re-inflamed the tendonitis in my left arm, but I skip the exercises that cause any pain there and the instructor is good about finding alternative things for me to do. At the end, we did a lot of mat work and I know I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

After unloading the kiln, we came home and had a very small, simple supper of beans with cheese and an impromptu guacamole and tortilla chips. While we ate, we watched another episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Then we both changed into our pajamas and got into bed with our computers (a bad, bad habit). I downed half a benadryl to ward off a repeat performance of last night's allergy attack. Now all I have to do is muster up the energy to get up and brush and floss my teeth before I fall asleep.

Good night.

No comments: