Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Inevitable Wednesday

It's been a somewhat unusual day.

The Inevitable Organ Recital

I planned on starting the new medication today, something I hate to do when I'm home alone, so Dave arranged to work from home today. I took the first pill around seven a.m. and stress drove me back to bed to sleep for a couple of hours. When I got up, I felt like a zombie. One of the side effects of the medication is dizziness and a dull mental feeling, which is something I hate. I absolutely hate feeling out of it. So I haven't yet decided if I'm going to continue with the medication.

I did make an appointment with my old primary care doc. She isn't on my new insurance plan, so I'll have to pay out of pocket, but hopefully she can answer a few questions. And maybe I won't have to keep going back to urgent care, so it will be a kind of stop gap until I can see my new primary care doc in June. (And this is with a top-of-the-line health insurance plan that we pay out the nose for. Disgusting.)

Food Stuff

Anyway when I got up, I was pretty hungry. I had eaten a slice of toast with some soy nut butter and a banana when I took the medication, but now it was just after noon and I wanted some lunch. I heated up a big bowl of beans (comfort food!) and added some no-salt rotisserie chicken (from Whole Foods), grated cheddar, chopped onions, jalapeno, and tomato, and a big dollop of plain Greek yogurt. I had it with a crumbled blue corn taco shell on top.

We're having Chinese food for dinner (we're meeting my older brother at that great, cheap Chinese place near Costco) and so I haven't had any salt today (except the little bit already in the soy nut butter, cheddar cheese, and diet Pepsi that I had for caffeine purposes). I'm already dreaming of an order of their spicy broccoli. That stuff is the best.

Dave Who Stayed at Home

Dave worked away all morning and afternoon, taking a break to have lunch and then to water the garden. At one point he went out and retrieved the package that UPS dropped off for us. Our new Cuisinart Mini-Prep Plus food processor had arrived! We unpacked it and oohed and ahhed over it, but we'll have to put it aside until tomorrow at least since we're going out tonight. With it, we also ordered a new pepper grinder. (I like the one we've had for the last twenty-plus years, but it has always had a bit of a balance problem since it's actually a Turkish coffee grinder which means that it's really top heavy. It falls over with a loud bang if you're not careful about how you set it down. After twenty some years of dealing with that, we finally decided to get a new one. I hope this new grinder works out, because at the pace we deal with things like that, I'll be in my mid-60s before we replace it.)

I also ordered Dave a keychain pen from TruUtility. It's kind of an awesome two-inch, metal ball point that telescopes out to a nearly full-sized pen. I like that kind of stuff, little keychain tools. My own keychain is about three times the size it needs to be because I have all kinds of things like that attached to it. Seriously, I have a Leatherman Squirt multi-tool that's like a folding knife on steroids, a TruUtility emergency cash holder with $20 inside, a whistle, mace, and so on. I used to have a mini flashlight, but that got too beat up, so now I just carry a small flashlight in my purse.

Wayback Wednesday

I remember when I was a kid going with my mom to a Tupperware party. Back then, they used to play little games at those things. (I don't know if they still do; I have never, as an adult, been invited to a Tupperware party.) One of the games was a kind of treasure hunt of items that women had with them either in their purses or on their person. I remember being amazed at this list of things that women could produce, things like steak knives, whole bars of soap, and so on. And now I find myself carrying around a bag filled with things like that. I could produce toothpaste and floss, a great first-aid kit, flashlights and knives (yes, plural), pens and markers, snacks, and on and on. What I can never produce on the fly is my car key. Of course.

Later

We met my brother for dinner (I got my spicy broccoli!) and then all went to Costco to wander the aisles in a white rice-induced daze. We bought more fruits and vegetables, lots and lots of Greek yogurt, and that was really about it. We were relatively restrained!

No comments: