Sunday, May 31, 2015

Moving Along

It was a boring day. In the late morning, Dave went off to a neighborhood party at his mother's and I stayed home thinking I might get a bit more sleep (as, surprise, I hadn't slept at all the night before). Of course I couldn't get to sleep. I watched a couple of episodes of Inside Amy Schumer on Amazon. I think Amy Schumer's show is brilliant. The episode where she remade 12 Angry Men is amazing, sad and hilarious.

When Dave came home, we went out for a very late lunch and/or very early dinner. We drove all the way up to the Japanese fast-food-ish restaurant that we went to a couple of weeks ago with my mother and brother. We shared some vegetarian sushi and an order of vegetable tempura, then we each had donburi--vegetable for Dave, pork belly for me. It was tasty, but now I'm on a white rice high.

We got to the studio around 5:00 or so. Dave had programmed the kiln to start this morning at 6:00 a.m. and it was supposed to reach temperature around 6:30, so we decided to go up and babysit it for the last hour or so. That turned into about two and a half hours, of course. While we waited, I worked on this piece, adding more color.
20150531_185734.jpg
To me, any piece always looks best just before it reaches the leather-hard stage and there is no color to it beyond the color of the clay. I am absolutely in love with the color of the iron rich clay. Once I start to put underglazes on, my vision of the final piece falters, I start second guessing myself, and I feel like I'm just splashing around with no real plan. This piece is in that stage right now. I think: Should I change the color of the roses from yellow to red? Should I make the lipstick blood red and the hair jet black? Should I get rid of the pastel-hued sweater and go with something with more impact, a deep blue-green? Things start to slip a bit in this stage.

I'm exhausted right now though, so that's no time to make big changes. I just want to see how the things in the bisque kiln fared so I can add more color and/or glazes and chuck them into to cone 3 firing--if not next weekend, then certainly the weekend after that.

No comments: