Sunday, May 3, 2015

Sunday Dreaming

I fasted from dinner until morning and rushed off at 6:40 to be at the lab by 7:00 a.m. I was the second person in so it went quickly. They drew three (or four?) vials of blood and then I had to pee in a cup. (It should have been a sure thing since I had downed two huge glasses of water before leaving the house. But no. I sat there and sat there and sat there....and nothing. I tried to think about waterfalls and torrential downpours, but it didn't help. I texted Dave who was waiting for me. Then I sat some more. Finally! After ten or fifteen minutes, I was able to produce a sample. Ugh. That never happens to me.)

We stopped for a latte on the way home, talked about where to go for breakfast or if we wanted to go for breakfast or what to have for breakfast if we didn't go out for breakfast. I ate the banana I had brought with me (a mistake, since eating bananas first thing in the morning always always always gives me heartburn) and instead of breakfast, we decided to go for a drive along Rio Grande and then come home and go back to bed.

At home I ate a piece of toast with some soy nut butter on it and finished my decaf and put on my pajamas and was out like a light in twenty minutes.

Recently, as I've been falling asleep, I've been listening to a series of nature documentaries narrated by David Attenborough. Last night, I dreamt that I was back in Tokyo teaching English. I was talking to a student about how she was in the wrong class. She was in a low-level beginner class but she was almost fluent in English. She was taking the class with a friend and didn't want to leave her friend behind. I offered to tutor her privately, for free, but she declined my offer based on where I lived. (I used to live in what was called the shitamachi--old town--part of Tokyo and she didn't like it.) After the student left, someone asked me about it and I pulled out a guide book and used it to explain to the person that the part of Tokyo where I lived was built over another older city (kind of like Mexico City--although it was a complete fabrication in the dream; where I lived was actually reclaimed swamp land) and underneath that older city was a cave, the longest, most extensive cave in the world. The cave was called Lechuguilla.

As the dreaming me explained this, the waking me realized that David Attenborough was talking in my ear about Lechuguilla, the deepest cave in the US, which is located here in New Mexico. Ha! The Brain was trying to wake me up so that we could look at the part of the documentary about the cave.

(The same thing happened during my nap, when I fell asleep to the same series and dreamt that I was eating lunch next to a camel--only to wake up listening to David Attenborough talking about camels at a watering hole.)

When I got up, it was after 11:00. Dave ran out to pick up an Itsa burger combo for me for lunch and then he had to get ready for lunch and a concert with his mother.

I had my lunch, got another nap, took a shower and watched one of the two episodes of The Blacklist that I had missed recently. By then Dave was home and we went to Flying Star and then Sonic for snacks and huge icy drinks before pilates.

Pilates was tough. I don't know what got into our instructor, but she was a bit of a drill sergeant today.

At home, we made bean soup for dinner using up some of our bolita beans from earlier in the week. (Bolita beans, onion, garlic, red chile powder, ketchup, vegetarian Worcestershire sauce, Better than Bouillon, and oregano, topped with more onions, chopped tomato, cheddar cheese, non-fat plain Greek yogurt, and crumbled blue corn taco shells.)

As we were sitting on the patio having our dinner, two hummingbirds came to the feeder and reminded me that I've been meaning to get a new feeder. The one we have now is a piece of crap! I bought it at the co-op last year as a back up to our old feeder and I didn't notice when I bought it that part of the plastic inside was broken. I thought it would work okay, but it doesn't seem to let the nectar flow down into the base for the birds to feed. Grr. After dinner, we went to K-mart of all places to pick up a new feeder. (Lowes had closed and Target didn't have any in stock according to their website.) After K-mart, we stopped at Whole Foods and picked up a few things.

When we got home, Dave did some dishes (don't worry, there's still plenty for me to do) and then took out his clarinet to torture the cats practice.

I think I'm going to watch the other episode of The Blacklist.

3 comments:

Carol said...

I love the Blacklist. For some reason my husband doesn't enjoy it. I think because it bounces around time-line-ish. He doesn't like shows or books that do that. I love shows and books that do that!

One of my favorite new authors is Jo Nesbo so I suggested he read my fave of Nesbos' - 'Redbreast' - it drove him nuts.

Rosa said...

Blacklist is my guilty pleasure! I think it's totally junk TV--but I LOVE James Spader.

I'd never heard of Jo Nesbo, so I googled him. Wow. That guy is easy on the eyes. I'll have to pick up one of his novels. The Harry Hole (c'mon--really?! lol) stories sound interesting. Any recommendations?

Carol said...

Spader is amazing in that show!

Harry Hole - hahaa, it's pronounced Hula :) but it is hilarious for us English speakers!!

Yeah, start with Redbreast!! His best IMHO!