Sunday, October 4, 2015

Studio Saturday

A strange studio day, but I'll get to that.

After a late night, I got up around 7:30, took my meds, fed the cats, and lay back down. I thought I would go back to sleep for a while, but instead I read a bit from a book (a fabulous new collection of Shirley Jackson's previously unpublished work) that Dave brought me as omiyage and I watched a couple of episodes of Sex and the City. Dave got up around 8:30 and made coffee, which I had in bed, then I got up and made breakfast burritos.

Then we lay around for another few hours, just doing not much at all. Around 10:30, we decided to get the day going, so we took showers and got dressed. I had a strange thing happen though, when I got out of bed. I went into the bathroom and felt my upper lip swelling up. I couldn't see anything obvious, like a bug bite or anything, but the part of my lip at my cupid's bow started to swell up until it looked like I had had some bad Hollywood-style lip injections. I ended up putting some Benadryl cream on it and taking an antihistamine. Weird.

While I was getting dressed, Dave went to Kai's house to pick up some stuff we're bisque firing for him. We're planning on doing a raku firing at Kai's house next week and so Dave wanted to bisque a bunch of new vases he threw before he went on his business trip last week. Along with his things, I put several sculptures into the kiln, including the big stargazing calavera in the Van Gogh Starry Night dress.

Paul came out to chat and to let us know that it was Judi's birthday and that she was still recovering from dental surgery she had last Thursday. After awhile, he went back inside and we finished loading the kiln and got ready to leave the studio. Only we couldn't because the garage door opener that we normally use to get in and out of the studio had disappeared. It was gone. We were in the middle of tearing apart the studio looking for it when Judi came out to say hi. We explained what was going on and she helped us look for it, but none of us could find it. She ended up giving us one of the extra garage door openers that they have, but I find it really strange that it just got up and walked away. (We even went in and asked Paul if he had absent-mindedly put it in his pocket while he was out chatting with us, but no.)

Judi told us that years ago, Paul had lost a garage door opener out in the garage and it had never turned up. How strange!

Since we have to be at the studio tomorrow while the kiln is firing, I'll look some more for it. I have some idea that it might have fallen between the work table and shelves where we keep the glazes, but I don't know. I used a long dowel to poke under the cabinets and we even went through the bag of trash that we had taken out to the garbage can. I tore apart my purse twice and had Dave empty his pockets and we looked in the kiln even. Anyway, it's driving me crazy.

We left the studio and went to China Express and had a very late lunch/early dinner. We had the spicy broccoli, of course, and tried something new, egg fu young. It was all very tasty and we ate way too much.

Then we came home and went straight back to vegging.

No comments: