Monday, February 15, 2016

Monday Afternoon Is Definitely Happening


I have class in a few hours, but right now I'm at home. Dave is off today--President's Day--and he's doing laundry. I was up all night (my sleep schedule is completely flipped around), but I got a nap in the afternoon so I won't be too tired in class. 

It's a beautiful afternoon. It's a bit overcast, but it's in the low 60's so quite warm. We have the front door open and Dave is testing out his new bluetooth speaker by playing some Elle King. I just heard about her yesterday and listened to a couple of her songs online and really liked them. She sounds a lot like a modern Wanda Jackson, very rock and roll country. Dave says her stuff sounds a bit like Wilco. (I'm not familiar with Wilco though, so I don't know.)

Anyway, it's a gorgeous day and I don't know if The Brain is ready for the exam I have to take tonight, but I'm trying hard not to kill myself over exams these days. I'm trying a very, very low stress approach to exams these days and it seems to be keeping the ramping up of the hives at bay. So yay for that.

What's been going on aside from studying and exam taking?

I've been reading a book my patho instructor recommended, Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World by Tracy Kidder. It's abou a doctor who started an important health care program in Haiti to treat, well, everything, but especially to treat AIDS and TB patients. It's an interesting read, well-written enough. I'm slowly making my way through it.

That's actually one thing that I really appreciate about my patho instructor, that he recommends outside reading or documentaries that have to do with the subject at hand.

I haven't done much today besides study, nap, and have lunch (bean and cheese burritos that wiped out our bean and tortilla and salsa supplies, which were already dwindling). Yes, we did just make a Costco run, but that was for vegetables. And one cannot live by salad alone, I'm afraid. (Although I need to start trying since I'm back into the biggest size of clothes in the closet!)

4 comments:

Helen said...

I really like Elle King too. I asked my niece in Canada to send me ten songs a month that I should hear to keep up with "modern music" and one that she suggested was
"Ex's and Ohs" and I liked it so much I bought the cd. (Yes, I'm old fashioned, I still buy cds.)
Of course, she hasn't sent me any more songs since that one time, but I tried!

So, as a Costco neophyte, I want to ask, what do you buy at Costco? You are also in a couple, so don't need a lot of some stuff. For us, it is a 2.5 hour drive through the mountains to get there and both F and I are so overwhelmed when we get there that we may be missing out on the good stuff! Any suggestions? We have very little freezer space which is a problem in my opinion.

Good luck on your exam. I hope it goes well.

Rosa said...

Hi Helen!

I was surprised that Elle King is the daughter of Rob Schneider (the "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo" guy). She's a better musician than her father is a comedian, I think!

That's a long way to drive to Costco! I wonder if you can order some stuff online and have them ship it to you to save yourself a trip? Shipping here from Costco.com is free for members.

Dave and I are about ten minutes from a Costco, so we tend to go every 7-14 days and rely on them for fresh stuff, mostly vegetables (baby carrots, cucumbers, red peppers, salad mix, sweet potatoes, snap peas) and fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, apples, and sometimes bananas). We get Greek yogurt (Fage) and cheese (in big blocks that we cut down as necessary) there, too. (Dave takes breakfast and lunch to work every day, so we go through a lot of these things in a little more than a week.)

Sometimes we get snacks and cold cereal. We also pick up home-type goods there (paper towels, plastic wrap, and dish sponges) and cases of bottled water. Before Dave quit drinking, we also bought wine there. We've used them to order eyeglasses, put tires on our car, fill prescriptions from the doctor, and purchased books, ink for our printer, and refill heads for our electric toothbrush.

My brother buys rotisserie chicken (it's too salty for me though!), baked goods, and their pre-made sandwiches.

I know you have limited space at home (we kind of do, too, since our place is 500-ish square feet or 46 square meters). But we cram a lot of stuff in here. If I weren't so close, I would probably focus a bit on the non-perishable-ish things (jarred marinara sauce, salsa, pasta, tea/coffee, spices, olive oil, oatmeal, crackers, peanut butter, bottled drinks). We don't eat canned goods (sodium, again!) but that's another option if you're into them.

Bet you weren't expecting a dissertation! I checked online and the JP website looks pretty good. I don't see anything about online ordering, though it looks like you can send them questions. It never hurts to ask, right?

Helen said...

I've always picked up fresh vegetables and fruit (raspberries!!!!) there too. We did bring home a rotisserie chicken once, but always worried that we'd get food poisoning from it! We have been buying bagels, I got some roasts once, and a few spices/things for the pantry. I can't buy huge quantities of some stuff, we just won't use it in time, but I love their avocados and my husband loves the huge bags of tortilla chips!

There's another company in Japan that goes to Costco and picks up things for people, which may be why they don't deliver themselves. I might ask next time I'm there.

Things like pizzas are just too big for my microwave/oven. I don't drink wine, I should try and get F to look at the wine when we are there, he does.

Thanks! It's been very helpful :-)

And, I thought the exact same thing when I found out who was Elle King's father.

Now go and study :-)

Rosa said...

Hi Helen! Yes, I should be studying, but I'd rather mess around on the internet, of course.

Just a tidbit about the rotisserie chicken: My patho instructor (who also works for the CDC) told the class that Costco cooks their chickens to a safe temp in a safe manner. So...maybe barring the 2 1/2 hour drive (which is just outside the two hour food-safety zone) you should be safe from salmonella. Maybe picnic on the way home? Lol!