Thursday, September 22, 2016

Starry Night

I am still not sleeping well, but I don't want to think about not sleeping well.

Saba is sick. She's not been feeling well for about a month now--she's been on steroids because she was dropping weight--but she has recently taken a turn for the worst. She's not a young cat, but she's only about 10 years old, so she's not a very old cat either. We've got a handful of drugs to give her every day and a decision to make about an ultrasound that would require her to be sedated. I hate this part about having pets. So I sat down and cried after we got home from the vet.

I don't want to think about this at all either.

I studied a bit in the afternoon for a nutrition class that I had let slip through the cracks but that is a prerequisite for the program I am applying to. I barely squeezed into the class this semester by putting myself on four different waiting lists for the late-starting, 12-week online course. It's interesting though, and I'm hoping to actually learn something.

I also spent some time painting today. I've been using my watercolors mainly. I bought a few tubes of Van Gogh student-grade watercolors last weekend just to test them out, so I've been using those. I've actually got several sets of watercolors, the usual Crayola kids' set and a couple of sets just above Crayola (Prang and...another whose brand name I can't recall). Climbing in price, I've got two travel-sized sets, one from Prima and one from Windsor and Newton. I've got a set of transparent watercolors from Grumbacher's and an opaque set from Kuratake. Most of them--the expensive ones anyway--were gifts from Dave, actually. I've been painting my way through the stash of watercolor paper (also a gift from Dave) and also painting on yellow legal pad paper, a la Lynda Barry. It's fun to paint on legal pad paper because there is no pressure to produce a finished masterpiece. It's just like being a kid again, painting what comes and moving on from it.

In studio news, amidst all the hullabaloo, this quiet beauty slipped through the cracks, but I've been slowly working on her.
20160918_164214.jpg
She is, if you recall, the stargazer in the Van Gogh Starry Night Dress.
20160918_164223.jpg
Her head tilts back and up, her eyes are big and pale, turquoise and lavender.
20160710_113627.jpg
She has a crown braid with night-blooming jasmine and datura braided in at the nape of her neck.
20160710_113639.jpg
She's on the way to being finished. Probably one or two more firings at most. I've lost track of where she is in the firing timeline.

I want to add a tattoo portrait of Van Gogh's self-portrait on her shoulder--and maybe a few constellations, too.

No comments: