Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The First Part

How I spent the first part of my two week vacation:

Saturday I slept. We had lunch with Judi and Paul at the good strip-mall Chinese restaurant. I was up late, watching Hanna on Amazon. I've been wanting to see it for years. It was good but not great.

Easter Sunday, I slept in a bit. Dave took Saba to the vet while I slept. Then we went to the studio for the first time in a long time and I made an ugly plate. We took Judi some filled Peeps, which she loved. She was going to take them to "The Girls," a group of college buddies who get together once a year for the last, what? Fifty years or so.

In the afternoon, I began the onerous task of cleaning off and reorganizing my desk. I got about halfway done before I needed some down time. In the evening, we had homemade pizza for dinner, then I took a nap before bedtime. I got up, watched a movie (Hello, My Name Is Doris), then went back to bed.

Monday, my brother and I went grocery shopping then picked up some burritos for lunch. (Carne adovada! YUM!) I came home just before the plumber came to set up the swamp coolers. After he was gone, I made some tapioca pudding for dessert then fell asleep watching a new series on Amazon, "Sunshine Sento Sake," which is about a Tokyo salesman who plays hooky from work to go to a sento (public bath) and then for a beer and snack after. That's it. That's what happens in each episode. It's very funny and very...Japanese.

Later, I tried to watch Viggo Mortenson's last movie, Captain Fantastic, but though I love Viggo, the movie was needlessly depressing, so I just turned it off. 

Tuesday was a very lazy day, spent at home. While looking over my acrylic paints, I found my stamp carving set so I ended up sitting down and carving a stamp.
20170418_133101.jpg

You can see the progression from the Posada illustration (on the far left, under the blue Speedball box) that was the inspiration, to the finished stamp.
20170418_133213.jpg
I'm drawn to these strange images. I assume the tuxedoed figures that Posada used are radish-headed, probably the kind of radishes that get carved into jack-o-lantern-like beings for the Day of the Dead.

The stamp took awhile and while I carved, Dave worked, and we listened to a new (to me) group that I like, Bleachers.

After I put up my carving stuff, I made a frittata for lunch, using pasta leftover from dinner the night before. It was an unexpectedly dense and heavy fritatta. I was so full after lunch that I didn't want dinner until very late, around 9 p.m., when I ate a bowl of cereal and a banana.

In the early evening, we did some grocery shopping--milk, chocolate, and a few other less necessary things.  Then I carved a bit more, another Posada-inspired stamp:
20170418_205116.jpg
Along with the illustration that inspired it:
20170418_205508.jpg

2 comments:

Carol said...

Hey Rosa!!! Love your prints!! I should pull out my printmaking stuff, but I really should just finish that quilt.
So, my darling husband does most of the cooking and he's really good! But, his pizza dough is err ummm lacking. Any suggestions for a doughy less hard pizza dough!?

Rosa said...

Hi, Carol! I'm not very good at all at carving stamps, but I do enjoy it. It messes with my brain having to think in reverse images...

I have to tell you, if your husband is making his own pizza dough, he is way ahead of me! Lol. I just buy those pizza "shells" (ie, the premade crusts) and put some grated cheese and such on them. :D It's my compromise between take-out pizza and make-your-own...

Also: Being the daughter of a baker has made me despise dough of all kinds, from bread to pizza. I can't stand the smell of yeasty doughs!