Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Is Anything Ever Finished?

After Dave's guitar lesson last night, we dashed up to the studio and unloaded the kiln. There wasn't much, but there was some--almost none of it actually finished.

I like the head underglazed white, though I didn't do a great job at it and I can see brush strokes here and there, so I may put a few more coats on and send her through again. I'll also add some glaze to the dress, including maybe a bright red and shiny glaze on the red belt. I also think she needs arms. None of this Venus de Milo stuff for me!
20180116_190135.jpg
Siamese Bugs came out, too. I'm not sure where I am with this one, though I know she needs some shiny bits and some depth added somehow.
20180116_190155.jpg
Her Bugs-echoing fascinator needs some zhushing up, probably with a bright orange glaze and some....more stuff. Something.
20180116_190214.jpg
Judi calls this one "the prisoner" but I meant it to be a kind of uncertain Janus, with this as the front....
20180116_190223.jpg
...and this as the back. I think it might be done just because it was a simple piece and I'm over it now.
20180116_190231.jpg
The star-gazer may be done. This is the back--the datura and night blooming jasmine braided into her hair.
20180116_190325.jpg
And this is the front, with her giant moony eyes and Van Gogh dress. I don't think I'll add the Van Gogh tattoo, if only because her skin has this amazing texture to it right now (hard to catch on film) and I don't want to mar it.
20180116_190125.jpg
And that was the kiln.

School

I start clinicals in the morning, bright and early. It's kind of a stupidly planned day. I am at the hospital from 6:30 until 7:30 or so, then I have to go to campus for some sims training from 8:00 to 8:20, then I have to go BACK to the hospital from 9:00 to 12:00. So that means finding parking at the hospital--then finding parking on campus---then finding parking at the hospital again. Whose stupid fucking idea was that, I wonder. Some students have to drive an hour each way (if their clinicals are at different, more distantly located hospitals). No one in this program seems to be actually looking out for students. The clinical instructors are all about not inconveniencing themselves, though.

But that's just me, trying to keep a positive attitude. That is so my forte!

Oh! And this morning, as I was sitting with a couple of students before class, one of them asked me what test bank I was using to prep for the upcoming exam and I said I had never used a test bank before. (Test banks are online--let's say resources that you can (pay for and) use to "study" for exams. (In other words, it's a way to cheat.) When I said I had never used one, she was surprised and said, "How did you get through to now?" Uh. The old fashioned way: I read and studied.

She asked how I did on the national exams we have to take periodically, and I told her I had passed all of them on the first go except for one (the maternity one, ugh) which I then retook (we're allowed one retake) and passed. She was surprised at that, too.

So there you go.

4 comments:

Helen said...

The stargazer looks really good, and I am intrigued by the "Janus" sculpture. I sort of agree with your ideas about the first one, a shiny belt would be good...same with arms!!

And a Test Bank. Really? I think I must be too old to know about those things. I think I would make sure I am never partnered with the person who used the Test Bank!

I studied English Lit, so we'd sometimes get copies of previous exams from other students, but we still had to write our own answers. We might have a better idea of what would be on the test, but it didn't always work. I doubt anyone ever died over an essay on Jane Austen for example.

Hope the studying goes well!

Rosa said...

Hi Helen!

People don't admit to using the test banks normally, so it's hard to tell who is cheating or not. I have heard rumors, but it wasn't until this one woman came out and asked me that I confirmed they're being used. I think it's a pretty widespread problem. There are so many ways to cheat in this day and age. Test banks are only a google search away!

I also have a degree in English lit (from way back) and I never thought to get copies of exams from other students. I know that fraternities and sororities keep a bank of their member's old exams so their current members can use them, but the average student usually won't have access to those things. I was that fool, though, who always read the books and didn't resort to Cliff Notes even! Lol!

Helen said...

Me too....never used Cliff Notes...the whole point was that I wanted to read the books. Okay, so I skipped the middle 300 pages of Tom Jones, and only skimmed Moby Dick, but I own that!

Rosa said...

:D!!!!