Saturday, July 7, 2018

Quick Update

Yesterday was David's birthday.
happy monster dave
He had to work all day and I went to school in the morning, so it was generally a quiet day. His presents from me were a Nintendo Switch and the new Zelda game, a collection of bamboo handled toothbrushes, and a wheel of musical theory stuff that I found on Amazon.  In the evening we went out to dinner with Grace and Chris. And then we came home and crashed.

David is now the same age that his father was when we met thirty-two years ago. That's the way it goes, I guess. (Some things never change, though.)

In other news: I've been sick with a sinus/ear infection, so I've been feeling run down and intermittently feverish. I started taking antibiotics and they seem, after three days, to be helping. I hate taking drugs of any kind but in addition to the antibiotics, I've also had to take ibuprofen to get through the last couple of school days. Feeling human is generally overrated, but I still have to make it through the day.

After our Wednesday holiday, I had a couple of more seminar filled days. Thursday we had two speakers talking about leadership. Sadly, they were two of the least inspiring people that could be drummed up. One was an absolutely appalling man who convinced several people that moving into management in healthcare was the last thing they wanted to do. Friday we had a three and a half hour lecture on ventilators. It would have been more helpful to have had the lecture before I (and a number of other students) went out to the ICU site where I dealt, for ten weeks, with patients on ventilators. Of course I wasn't solely responsible for those patients, but the entire time I was still skidding around on information that I managed to glean from a scant number of paragraphs in my textbook, the internet, and a single day spent shadowing a semi-gonzo respiratory therapist. 


No comments: