Thursday, January 24, 2019

That's It

It's been a run of fairly boring days recently. I'm back to studying. Yawn. During my study breaks, I take a moment to play a few winning games of faux Scrabble on my phone. I'm still addicted (and I still haven't lost a game yet).

I've been watching far too much Netflix, of course. My new thing is the latest episodes of Grace & Frankie. This season is really, really good. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it. Can I just say, I love Peter Gallagher as Grace's boyfriend Nick. I had a crush on him ages and ages ago (like, late 80s/early 90s), so it's nice to see him again onscreen.

I also sewed a bit the other day for the first time in a long time. (I've mostly been art journaling, collaging, painting.) I sewed up a pantyliner. Yes, this is a thing. There is an online community of women who sew and use pads and pantyliners for various reasons. They tend to be about the kind of women that you'd expect them to be, of course. The hard-core "reduce/reuse/recycle" type, whether young or old. But I do like the idea of making and using (and reusing) something that we've all become accustomed to buying (and having it be disposable). And I have a load of fabric to use up, so. (Although I don't have a lot of the fabrics that are most useful. There are lots of specialized fabrics like bamboo charcoal-based fabrics and fabrics engineered to increase their absorption. I do have cotton and flannel and a tiny bit of fleece, so that's what I used.)

Anyway, so I only made one. (That included drafting a pattern, of course.) I'd like to make more.

I decluttered a bit, too. In a Marie Kondo moment, I actually tossed out the shoes and scrubs that I used while I was in school. Those things definitely did not spark joy, man. They were weighing on my mind, too. I figured that the next time I have to buy scrubs, I'd like for them to be something that I choose, not something that I HAD to wear. (Yes, a lot of places have guidelines for what kinds and colors of scrubs that people have to wear, but at least I would be buying my own, ghost-free scrubs.) (Ghost as in The Ghost of Unpleasant School-Related Memories and not ghost as in The Ghosts of Patients Who Died on My Watch.)

What else has been going on?

Did you see the lunar eclipse the other night? I went out when it was about halfway, but I only stayed out a few minutes because it was so darn cold. Still, the moon has been a pretty amazing presence recently. I approve.

And, let's see what else.

Dave and I got out and went grocery shopping last night. So that was fun. We've been eating most of our meals at home recently, a big change for us. So it turns out that when you do that, you tend to run out of food. We went to Whole Foods and stocked up on a lot of stuff. I even bought some things to make hummus, since I'm getting tired of spending four dollars on an eight ounce container of hummus--and the store bought stuff tends to be higher in sodium than I really should be eating. Since I gave up sugar (except for fruit) last month (in fact, it was just over a month ago that I stopped eating sugar), I've been eating more protein. Hummus is a great snack with some crackers or veggies. (My other go-to snack is cheese, but I need to get that habit under control.)

Okay, that's all I have to say today.

No comments: