Sunday, January 20, 2019

Deep Blue

I've been fighting off something for a few days now. I've had an on-again, off-again sore throat and a generally sick-ish feeling in my sinuses, plus a sinus headache that lasted most of the day Saturday. I've been rinsing out my sinuses using a neti pot (which I hate doing because it's so gross) and gargling with salt water and today, Dave cleaned and set up the humidifier.

Despite all the feeling like I'm going down, we had a productive Saturday. I slept in (after staying up all night or nearly so) while Dave went to his clarinet lesson and then to get an emissions test on the new car. (Dave has been good about getting everything in line to get it registered--paperwork, insurance, emissions--so all that we need to do now is go and have it registered.)  I got up just in time to take a brief shower and get dressed so that we could pick up my brother and meet up with my mother for lunch. We had Chinese food, way too much Chinese food, as always.

After lunch, we dropped off my brother and then went up to the indie fabric store that I like. They're having a clearance sale so I bought about 18 yards of fabric. They had a lot of good stuff on sale, some of it for $1.99/yard. Who could resist?

On the way home, we stopped at a mattress store and bought a new coil mattress to replace the new foam mattress that replaced the old coil mattress that Gray Kitty vomited up a copious amount of green, evil-smelling vomit onto a couple of months ago. That mattress went out onto the curb to get picked up by the garbage collectors. We replaced it with a foam mattress that I despised but which Dave didn't mind. And today, we just bit the bullet and got a new coil mattress. I chose an "extra firm," which may be too firm, but the jury's out. I have something like a four month return window, which, considering the price, is only fair. (We went to a fairly expensive place and picked one and purchased it in about 15 minutes, which is the only way I ever want to shop for expensive things like mattresses.)

Then we came home and set everything up and I was so exhausted that I had to lie down and take a nap before bedtime. (But then I got up around 11:30 and haven't been able to get back to sleep and it's 3:40 in the morning. So I don't advise napping before bedtime if you want to get any sleep.)

We had sandwiches for dinner, by the way.

Since I couldn't sleep, I started watching Captain America (2011), which I rented on Amazon a few days ago. I had never seen it, despite hearing that it was good. I'm about a quarter of the way through it and though it's well made, it doesn't really hold my interest. Chris Evans is a great follow on Twitter, but he's kind of lackluster on screen, in my very humble opinion. Anyway, I'll break it up into chunks and finish watching it. Because why not?

The other thing I've been doing with my time is wasting it by spending hours on my phone playing a Scrabble rip-off called Classic Words. I have the great misfortune of coming from a Scrabble-philic family, so I'm a Scrabble player. There it is. There is no rehab for that. (I've checked.) I've played about thirty games (more like forty, actually) against the computer and haven't lost a single one. Step aside, (Scrabble version of) Deep Blue.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Don't resist the fabric! Sounds like a great deal. (That's how I feel about yarn!)

I'm a scrabble player too, but I don't play online. I had a friend start one game after another on Facebook for a while. I'd win and then she'd start another one and I'd win that too. I think she wanted to win one, but...! I eventually told her I couldn't do it anymore and deleted the app.

Now I play other timewasting games. Yay me!

Rosa said...

Hi, Helen!

It was a great deal! I only wish I had the space to store more, but unfortunately we're pretty packed in to our little casita.

Sadly, I couldn't handle playing against another person online. As it is, I get irked at the computer (I've deleted and reinstalled the game twice over imagined slights like the computer taking the good triple word space on the board).

I guess we should call our game playing "relaxing" instead of "timewasting"--or even say that by playing we're doing "self-care" (all the rage these days), right? Ha!