Wednesday, June 26, 2019

On the Way Home

Paul has been moved from the hospital to a skilled nursing facility (SNF), the next step in his return home. Judi and Paul's daughter spent the day with him as he was transferred, so I went up to Judi's house and spent the afternoon with Buzz, playing in the yard and watching TV. (This way Buzz didn't have to spend the whole day in his crate, poor thing.) 

When Judi and Paul's daughter came back from the hospital, Dave came by, walked Buzz and then we all went out to dinner. We had Mexican food. (I had a sandwich, since I didn't want to tempt fate by adding chile to my current GI system and antibiotic combo.) Judi and Paul's daughter went back to the SNF and Dave and I came home via the co-op. (We were getting very low on some of our staple groceries.) We'll go tonight to visit Paul.

I heard from Judi this morning, though. She said that Paul's color is better and PT had him up out of bed (the first time in about 10 days that he's been out of bed), dressed, and sitting in a chair while his bedding was changed. This is already a big improvement from where he's been in the recent past.

I had spent the morning (before going up to Judi's) sewing, working on this little piece (roughly 24 inches square), a wall hanging after Freddie Moran's quilt "Little House in Big Woods." It's made with leftover tree blocks and a new red house. I worked more on it this morning, finished the quilting (a variation on match-stick quilting), trimming it, adding a pieced binding using both Steam-A-Seam and then stitching in the ditch (normally I just hand stitch the bindings, but I wanted to try something different).

While I was working, I got a call from the the hospital where I interviewed a couple of weeks ago. I should get an offer for a job by the weekend or early next week at the latest. I'm going to start part-time and then see how things go.  (They really wanted me to start full-time, but I'm not sure how that will work for me.)

Working again. Wow. I need to buy some new scrubs and new shoes and...sew up a new eye mask since I'll be working one night a week and I'll have to sleep during the day.

What else has been going on?

Ah. We bought a humidifier, which I should have done a long time ago. It really helps, what with my sinuses being in not great shape right now. I run it all night and then empty it out and let it dry during the day. This is supposedly to help prevent bacteria and fungus from growing in it. Since we've got it, I've slept better. (Well, it's only been two days, but still.)


I've been reading more. I re-read Charlotte's Web and Cheaper by the Dozen, then read the sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen, Belles on Their Toes (which I had never read before). I need something new to read now. Normally when I'm casting about to kindle a new book, I get online and send a half-dozen or more samples to my kindle. As I read, I either buy the book or delete the sample. I don't have anything in mind right now, but I do know that I want more non-fiction, autobiographical stuff. I haven't been able to read fiction in awhile. I just...lost my taste for it or something. I can re-read stuff that I'm familiar with, but new fiction almost invariable makes me feel like I'm wasting my time. (Although what I really should be doing is reviewing relevant materials in my textbooks in anticipation of starting this new job.)

No comments: