Thursday, August 15, 2019

Of Course

It's been awhile since I posted.

Since then, I've had a birthday. Dave and I drove up to Santa Fe to visit one of my favorite quilting shops and I bought a few yards of fabric, including a large print of the Virgin Mary that I'm going to fussy cut and applique on my jean jacket.

I've started orientation for the new job. I've seen children who needed to be held down by three grown adults to keep from hurting themselves. I've been cursed out by a tiny child. (It made me laugh, which I had to hide.) I've worked 40 hour weeks on less than 15 hours of sleep. (I've always had trouble sleeping and this job is not helping.) I've spent $82 on a book about psychotropic meds used on pediatric populations. I've worked with doctors and medical students. I've had panic attacks from reading patients' charts. I've seen and heard stories that would break your heart and that have broken mine.  I've cried and not been able to cry. I can't talk about any of it in specifics, of course. I'm slowly getting used to it.

I've seen a new therapist (a dud) to try to supplement my own therapist's schedule. I've watched My Cousin Vinny about 20 times and Ryan Hamilton's Netflix special Happy Face another 5 or 6 times and the first season of The Golden Girls three times. I've nearly burned through the electrode pads that came with my TENS unit by running it most of the night to quell the pain in my right shoulder and deltoid (maybe a torn rotator cuff?). I've ordered a replacement set of 30.

I've ordered new glasses (itself a frustrating experience). Bifocals. I've been having trouble reading the tiny printed patient reports. 

This morning was frustrating, though. I had an appointment with an ENT that I waited about three months to see. I arrived 30 minutes early (as told to by the office). I waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, one hour and twenty minutes after arriving, I saw the doctor for about 8 minutes. Had to pay out of pocket since the office doesn't take my insurance. No answers, of course. Just referrals for more test. I took the day off for this.

I go back to work tomorrow. But today I'm going to try to catch up on sleep. My FitBit says I got 4 hours and 42 minutes of sleep last night.  Of course.

2 comments:

Helen said...

You got a whole 8 minutes with your doctor! Amazing! Over here they often just spend 2 minutes on me, after an hour or more in the waiting room.

I have bifocals too, I quite like them, but there is a bit of a learning curve! Make sure they are okay when you get them. My first pair I needed for my craftwork, but when I looked up I couldn't see the TV across the room, the prescription needed to be tweaked.

I love My Cousin Vinny, but I haven't seen it for a while.

I'll look forward to seeing your jean jacket applique! I've been getting into boro lately, sort of a Japanese style of mending with bits of material that people would normally throw away. I have one more pair of jeans for my husband that I am planning to do for him, and I'm going to boro it. He might not like it!!

I can imagine the stories...I probably don't want to.

And lastly, happy belated birthday!

Rosa said...

Hi Helen,

Yes, unbelievable that I got 8 whole minutes. That's only $11.88 cents a minute. A bargain at twice the price!

I am worried that with bifocals, it will make my vertigo worse. So I'm not looking forward to the learning curve. My doctor warned me that some people get bad headaches, etc from them. I ordered a regular, non-bifocal pair for back up, too.

Can't wait to see your boro projects. I would love a few hours to browse in a craft store in Japan again. When I lived there, I knew I'd be coming home eventually and didn't buy a lot of stuff, but now, I'd just buy everything and ship it home!

Thanks for the birthday wishes. It hardly felt like a birthday since all I wanted to do was sleep. Lol.