Sunday, September 15, 2019

Reaching for Happiness

I woke up to gray clouds and rain.

The Brain needed something besides work to gnaw on, so Dave and I dodged the raindrops to go to the museum. There were some interesting exhibits going on (and some not so interesting exhibits going on). We looked for a bit, then had a coffee and snack in the cafe (where we ran into someone we know from the co-op), and then looked for a bit more. When we left, it was raining even harder than when we had come in.

We were supposed to have lunch with my mother and brother, but I was cold and wet, so I texted to see if they wanted to postpone lunch until later in the week when it is less cold and rainy. They agreed, so I got into my pajamas and got back into bed for awhile. My neck has been bothering me a lot recently (a lot of work-related stress), so I lay down and tried to get it to relax. It helped a bit, but laying in bed is boring, so I got up and cut up some of the fabric that I got a few days ago.

The fabric I ordered is very unlike me. It's a mix of floral prints and butterfly prints in pastel and other light colors. (I also ordered a few more things that are more like me, including some Day of the Dead fabric.)

These are crappy pictures that I took in a quick-and-dirty way to check the values of the prints. (You take a color picture and then hit it with a grayscale filter to see where the fabrics fall on the "light-medium-dark" value scale.)



(Some of the fabrics in the second to last picture, I already owned, I was just putting them together to see if they would all work in a quilt.)

Anyway, I cut 56 nine-and-a-half inch squares. I'm intending to make half-square triangles out of them and then sew them at random into a quilt top. I love that random, half-square triangle thing, so I'm going to see how that works out. Cutting up fabric made my neck start to cramp up again (which is making my ear hurt with referred pain) so I stopped and lay back down.

I'm listening to some audio books on youtube. There's a wonderful version of To Kill A Mockingbird that I'm about a quarter of the way through. I love that book. Don't you love that book? I love that book.

2 comments:

Helen said...

I've never read that book! I think it must be required reading in the US? I don't think I've even sat through the movie.

Interesting about the filter...I had no idea. It might work for yarn too...hmmm!

I hope your neck gets better soon. DH has a "neck" too, it gets worse in rainy weather. Could that be your cause?

I have to run...have a good weekend!

Helen

PS...I like your fabric :-)

Rosa said...

Hi Helen!
It is a wonderful book, I think. Lots of people in the US have to read it in 8th grade, but I didn't read it until I was an adult and I still enjoyed it. The narrator is a tomboy nicknamed Scout. The movie is also very good if you're not into the book.

Ah, the "neck"! I wish I could blame rainy weather, but since we live in the desert, I don't have that option. Mine is decades worth of poor posture and not enough exercise, probably. I just want to avoid that "dowager's hump"!!

Hope you are having a great weekend!