Friday, March 26, 2021

Disharmonious

I was up in the night, from a little after 11:00 p.m. until about 5:00 a.m. It's just after 9:00 a.m. now and I'm wondering if I should just have coffee and power through, or if I should go to bed for a few more hours. While I was up, I watched a documentary on Netflix about John Lennon and Yoko Ono, then about half an episode of Chapelle's Show, then a bunch of quilting youtube videos. 

Speaking of quilting:


 That is the disharmonious quilt as it stands so far. The next "round" will go up the sides; I'm thinking half log cabin or square-ish within a square blocks in pink and gray or maybe  pink and purple. What do you think? 

You can see how the quilt starts with an orange square ringed with unequal strips of unequal stripes that devolve (or develop?) into half-square triangles. The free cut pink and green piano key rings come next, again unequal in application. Finally, the yellow and blue stripes that turn momentarily into "pinwheels" (sometimes called minimal pinwheels or liberated pinwheels or Gwen's pinwheels after Gwen Marston, the quilter who devised them and used them in her work and taught them to others) then back into stripes. There is no method in this madness, I don't think.

Dave thinks it's not as disharmonious as I think it is. But I don't think I've ever seen a quilt quite like it, have you? I would hate to think so. Shoot me if I ever buy a quilt pattern to follow. Quilt books, yes, because the pictures are beautiful and amazing and inspiring, but quilt patterns, no, thank you.

Yesterday I spent the late morning and early afternoon sewing (each two color combination takes one day's worth of sewing to accomplish and when I'm done with that, I'm done sewing for the day). Dave spent part of his morning and early afternoon on the patio and garden again, repotting some things, washing aphids off things, even planting a few things. Spring is here.Gardeners and green thumb types are going crazy.  (I'm not this type of person. I like to go to the plant nursery and point at things I like and then hand them off to Dave to plant and take care of all season. That's the extent of my gardening/plant skills.)

In the afternoon, we went out for giant fizzy drinks and then for a short drive in the valley. We came home and had nachos for dinner. I did a bit of reading.

Quiet days, these, thankfully.

This morning Dave is off to his mother's for a bit and then to get the car emissions tested, I hope. Our registration lapsed and we need to have the emissions test results to re-register it. If I don't go bed, I'll do a bit of sewing I imagine. 

I think I'll make green chile stew for dinner. 

And we'll have another quiet day today.

Thankfully.

No comments: