Thursday, July 29, 2021

The Quick Brown Fox

 My avoiding screen time is not going well. Ugh. I may be addicted to the internet. It's just too easy to cozy up to a screen. I have been diligent about wearing my blue light blocking glasses the whole time though, so that's something.

We've been getting some rain these days, but not nearly enough. I really want a few really good storms that flood the streets the way they used to. This too dry weather makes me nervous. I've been up most of the night and there was lots of loud thunder throughout the very early morning, but Dave's new rain gauge says we only got 1/100" of rain last night. Sigh.

I'm tired this morning (see also being up throughout the night).  

I watched a few clips from the Olympics online, mostly women's gymnastics and synchronized diving. I'm fascinated by synchronized sports. I don't know how that became a thing, but of course you know that the Chinese are always going to win those gold medals, right? I think they should make synchronized pole dancing an Olympic sport. That I might actually watch, along with the rest of the world.

I'm also fascinated by how the Japanese just appeared to say "fuck it" and left everything labeled "Tokyo 2020." I wonder if the marathon that's being run in Hokkaido (because summer in Tokyo is ichiban brutal) will still be labeled "Tokyo 2020."

I'm tired. Obviously.

What else has been going on? Not much, really. A coupld of nights ago, Dave and I had Zoom dinner with a couple of friends, Glen and Kathleen.  Both are in very high risk categories and limit their outings to grocery stores and a bit of hiking in the mountains around their house.  They have worked the Balloon Fiesta every year (but last year when it was cancelled due to Covid) for the last 20 years and this year because of their concerns about Covid, they have decided that they can't do it. I am siding with them. Have you seen the numbers for the Delta variant infections in the US? It's insane. There are five states in the south that have no ICU beds available. (It's so beyond medically unethical to even suggest not treating people who refused the vaccine but are now needing ventilators, so I will just say that I have very little sympathy for people who refuse the vaccine and then get sick. So very little sympathy. Like republican "thoughts and prayers" level of don't give a fuck.)

There's new evidence that vaccinated people who are infected with Delta produce the same amount of virus as unvaccinated, infected people. So yes, if you are vaccinated and get Covid, you may avoid hospitalization and death, but you are still passing it on to others, including children who cannot yet be vaccinated.

So that's my rant. Get vaccinated, wear your masks if you have to go out, and DON'T GO OUT.

I'm over it.

I just want to sleep through the rest of the day. Is that so much to ask? (I have therapy this afternoon.)


No comments: