Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Short and Sweet and Incomplete

 Happy birthday to me!

I have no special birthday plans today. Dave and I will just have a nice, relaxing day.

Amazingly, I got some sleep last night and was only awake for about an hour or so at 12:45 last night. I got up, took my meds, had a snack, and finished most of a crossword puzzle at the back of an issue of The New Yorker. (I had gotten up at 3:00 a.m. the night before, so I forced myself to stay awake the whole day--napping is my weakness and my naps tend to be, like, four hours long--helped along with the judicious use of caffeine. By the time I went to bed last night, I felt like a zombie. But it was all for the greater good! Whatever that is!

It's light out now, just barely, so when I am done here, I will step outside and greet the day. Yesterday I did that and a goddamned mosquito tried to snack on me, so I ran inside. I'm not afraid of mosquitoes, but I am allergic to them, so that put the kibosh on my little outing.

Okay then. I will update this later or tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good (my birth)day.

Update: I got a gift certificate from my mother which I promptly spent part of on a pen holder and book from Amazon. When Dave got up, we went out for donuts for breakfast--then of course we had sushi for lunch. I had some terrific presents (including lots of new art supplies and a trio of Kai scissors, which are amazing!). Then we took a drive into the mountains where we took a photo.

One of the other presents that David got me this year was something that I wanted when I was about four or five years old: A Raggedy Ann doll. I remember wanting one and not getting one; I have no idea why. It could easily be because I just never said anything about it. Then when I was in kindergarten, I was invited to a classmate's birthday party and the gift my mother bought for me to take was, of course, a Raggedy Ann doll. I wasn't angry about it, but I know I felt some kind of way handing over that wrapped doll to that little girl. But now I have one of my own, only forty-five years later! (She is currently resting very peacefully on my pillow.)

2 comments:

Carol said...

Happy belated birthday! What a great photo of you two

Rosa said...

Aw! Thanks, Carol! :D