Thursday, January 4, 2024

New Year

Our Christmas cards were of two types, one like this collaged Christmas tree made, the other a twisted chile pod with a golden halo of one sort or another.

New Year's Day without fail, an accident of some kind. Last year, the fall that broke my tailbone and gave me a concussion. This year, just a pantry with shards of broken glass and splattered beet juice to be cleaned up.

I had stepped out of my sandals because they were filled with bits of glass. Anyway, I'll take cleaning that up over sitting in the emergency room for hours.

I've been sleeping at night recently, which I only note because it hasn't happened in a very long while. 
To promote it, I've been getting up in the morning and sitting in a sunny spot to get some sun in my eyes. The days sometimes seem very long and I miss my quiet three a.m. hours. It is a novelty anymore to not keep vampire hours, to be up at the same time as everyone else in the house.

My chaotic happy place:

My mother passed on four card making kits that she wasn't going to use, so I've been spending some of my down time making cards. This is what my desk looks like while I'm working. I like creative messes.

Dave took the dog to the vet this morning for an ultrasound of his spleen. The regular vet had noticed something or other and set us up for the ultrasound. Poor dog is rife with tumors. He's an old boy; there's not much to be done besides keeping him comfortable. His arthritis is so bad that he can't get up on his own now as it is. He wears a harness that allows us (mostly Dave) to pull him up to standing. He can walk a bit, but spends most of his days on one bed or another, snoozing. He barks incessantly when left alone, even for a few minutes. The vet thinks it might be as little as three months until we have to say goodbye to him. 

Dave is off now, visiting assisted living homes with his mother. She will soon move to the next level of care. Sad times are coming. Sadder times, I mean.

No comments: