Friday, July 24, 2009

Today's Treasures

Where to begin with today's treasures?

Kelly First started it by coming home from an estate sale with a box that included this:

Iron On Transfers

A giant handful of embroidery and other patterns. She intended to send the sewing patterns (lovely dresses and such from the '50s and '60s) to her sister, but she knew I'd be interested in the embroidery transfers.

Iron On Transfers

Which I am. They're pretty awesome.

After hearing about all the treasures at the estate sale, I asked her if she wanted to go back. Luckily she did, and I got to bring home a bunch of wonderful junk like this:

Estate Sale Ephemera

What is it? An entire bag of savings stamp booklets. Most of them filled with stamps!

Estate Sale Ephemera

And an assorted bag of junk that included these two pairs of kids' scissors.

Estate Sale Junk

I kept the darker pair and tossed the shinier pair.

And a handful of magazines, including this one from 1945:

LIFE

It's the craziest issue. Here are some photos of the contents:

Dalai Lama in LIFE

The Dalai Lama enjoying a Coca-Cola.

War Is Over

The bombing of Hiroshima.

Letters About Spanking

A letter about beating one's wife. You can click on it if you want to see it for yourself. It says:

Sirs:

. . .I heartily agree...

After spending two years in Italy, I came home to find my wife in a set of the briefest shorts I ever laid eyes upon. Around the house it was all right, but she insisted on wearing them downtown and to the movies. I got nowhere trying to reason with her. So I spanked her while she was wearing the shorts and you can bet your life I didn't take it easy. The result--my wife was a perfect lady during the rest of my furlough.

--S/SGT JOHN BAKER


There's a classy guy right there, ca. 1945. I wonder how long before she found a good husband...

There are more photos at my flickr page, if you want to see more treasure!

No comments: