Monday, May 4, 2015

Rainy Monday

We had an amazing long afternoon rain shower, complete with dark gray skies, thunder, and wind. Of course I had watered the garden and patio just a few hours before the rain started. (Isn't that always the way?) It was in the upper seventies as I watered, but when the rain came, the temperature dropped ten or fifteen degrees and the rain was sharp and cold.

After dinner, we drove out along Rio Grande just to take in the rain--and to stop and get an ice cream sundae.

Food Stuff

For dinner, I made vegetarian meatball subs. I made the marinara sauce mostly from scratch, using no-salt tomato sauce, lots of onions, garlic, and celery chopped up in our new mini food processor (which we've mainly used for onions and garlic, but which makes that job amazingly easy), and loads of spices, including some from the garden (oregano, garlic chives, basil, and rosemary). At the end, I separated out some of the sauce and added Quorn crumbles (for me, since they're relatively low in salt) and in the rest of the sauce, I simmered some vegetarian meatballs (for Dave, since they are full of tasty, tasty salt). Toasted bread, grated Parmesan cheese, and a side of steamed broccoli, and that was dinner. It was pretty good, if I do say so myself.

I'm thinking of making soup tomorrow, fridge clean-out soup. We have lots of little odds and ends of vegetables to put in--and a new CSA box coming on Saturday.

Other Stuff

I washed, filled, and hung up the new hummingbird feeder today. The birds have already come to check it out. One came out in the rain for a drink. I can hear them buzzing around out there even now. I love the sound their wings make, and the annoyed chirping sounds they use to chase one another away.

What else did I get up to today?

I went out for a few groceries in the early afternoon. I stopped by the nearby non-co-op grocery store to pick up some cumin seeds and ended up coming home with those, apple cider vinegar, no-salt canned tomatoes, avocados, and garlic.  On the way home, I went by the co-op and picked up a loaf of the no-salt bread I eat and a few other things like calcium-magnesium sports drink, tempeh, and tofu. (I had been watching a Begin Japanology about soybeans, which may have influenced my purchases.)

At home, I did a few household things and then started in on dinner.

The rain continued on and off through the evening, soaking everything. It's supposed to continue through tomorrow--and return this time next week.

No comments: