Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Obviously

I spent a big chunk of my morning and early afternoon reading my textbook and looking over things for my first lab tomorrow.  There was nothing but nothing in the house to have for lunch. I had eggs for breakfast and didn't want to have eggs for lunch, but I rooted around in the cabinets and pulled some whole wheat pasta and had that with some beans from a can. Yum. (Well, not really.)

In the later afternoon, I took a shower and got ready for our first meeting with our personal trainer. Last night was an "assessment," but today was our first workout.  In the afternoon, the trainer texted me a diet plan, which--ha! It's a six or seven small meals a day plan with about a pound and a half of meat per day (!) not including the four whole eggs and six egg whites. There's no fruit, almost no vegetables, no dairy, and nothing that would provide any real source of calcium (aside from one cup of greens and one cup of broccoli per day). So I doubt that I'll be much following that diet plan.

Before all that though, I made some bean and vegetable soup for a pre-workout dinner for me and a post-workout dinner for Dave. (It wasn't the two egg plus three egg whites and 1 tablespoon of almond butter the trainer recommended, but oh well!)

Dave came home around 5:00 and we changed clothes and headed off to the gym.

It was our first real workout and it sucked. It was a lot of lunges and squats with weights. Then it was arm and shoulder exercises, also weighted. No machines and no cardio. We worked outside for most of it, which was nice. Judi couldn't do most of it, which worries her, but the trainer worked with her a lot, just getting her to do a lot of the exercises in modified form or without weights. I think it will improve for all of us, but the early days are not pleasant. I can already feel myself getting sore and stiff.

We'll go back Thursday.

We stopped at the co-op after the gym to pick up some protein stuff for me (chicken and lean beef). Dave's vegetarian diet has the trainer stymied so he hasn't gotten his diet plan yet. We also got some greens and other veggies.

I bought some brown rice and avocado sushi for my dinner and a coconut water for the potassium. Dave had soup and pasta with lots of Parmesan on top for his dinner.

After dinner, I sat down and tried to figure out how to get an account with the textbook company (who is, as far as I'm concerned, really teaching the course I'm taking) and ended up having to email their spokesperson (a.k.a. the instructor) to ask how to do this. There was a link hidden on one of the assignment pages, buried deep within about 30 or more pages of crap that went online on Monday.

I'm going to have to remind myself to remain civil when it comes to comments about how much of the course material is now online or through the textbook company's website. This strikes me as ridiculously unnecessary. But then again, I'm old school, from a time when teachers actually had to plan their lectures and make up their own quizzes and exams and then grade them by hand--and when students had to show up and--gasp!--take notes with an actual writing instrument, and study the course material from off-line sources, and then take quizzes and exams in an actual classroom. So. I guess this is progress?

We'll see.

I'm grumpy and sore and exhausted. Obviously.

No comments: