Monday, September 26, 2016

3 Good Things and then the Rest

#1.

I got an email that I was accepted into one of the programs I applied for. (I actually got the email last Thursday but since I don't really check my school email account all that often, I didn't find it until last night.) I'm still waiting to hear about the second application, but even if that doesn't work out, I will still be on my way.

Yay!

#2.

Saba is feeling much, much better. She's still not quite at 100%, but she is not in such bad shape that I'm constantly stressed and worried about her. She's been eating more and socializing more, which is good. I'm very, very happy about that.

She even climbed into bed and snuggled with me which she hadn't done in a long time.
20160924_030326.jpg


#3.

Encaustics!
20160924_181429.jpg
I got to play around with some encaustics at the studio on Saturday. Judi worked on skulls--just some animal skulls she has laying around--and I worked on bisque.
20160924_181441.jpg

My piece is okay from this distance, but close up it is very uneven and...not great. Which is fine, but I need to figure out how to get some smaller detail with encaustics--or how to make it work with what I'm already doing with underglazes and glazes.
 20160924_181414.jpg
There is a HUGE learning curve with encaustics and I haven't done enough to really make them work for me, but I do enjoy it.
20160925_174203.jpg
It's fun to play with a new medium!

In other news:

I'm still not sleeping. Like, hardly at all. I've been getting about three hours of sleep at night and then another hour or so during the day. That's gone on for several days now and it's starting to wear on me. I am going to try taking my vitamins in the morning instead of after dinner (in case the vitamin rush is keeping me up suddenly). And if that doesn't work, I'm just going to break down and take some melatonin. I need to get some sleep!

Friday my brother and I went to the dollar store. I needed to pick up some throwing buckets (buckets that hold water when you're throwing on the wheel) and a small wastepaper basket (the ones at Target were, like, $8. No, thank you.) The next day, Dave and I spent part of the afternoon helping my brother move a set of shelves from my mom's house to his apartment.

After that, we went to the studio, then we came home and had sandwiches for dinner and I collapsed for my nightly three hours of sleep.

Sunday came fast. We met Chris and Lu Ann for breakfast at a nearby cafe which was great fun (we took them some cherry tomatoes from our garden), then I came home and slept a little bit.

I had some homework to do for the online class I'm taking, so I did that in the afternoon. Dave had gone off to visit his mother and was home by 4:00, after stopping at Target for more cat food (we keep offering Saba can after can of whatever we think will interest her just to get her to eat, so we are going through a lot of cat food--and throwing away a lot of cat food, but I don't care about that). I was exhausted by then, but we had told Paul that we would swing by the studio and I wanted to keep my word.

We drove up to the studio, had a bit of a clean up (we had left the encaustics out the night before to cool and solidify), chatted briefly with Paul, then came home.

I threw together some taco salads for dinner (vegetarian meat-like crumbles with taco seasoning, pinto beans, cheese, sour cream, chopped onion, avocado, and tomato, served over bagged greens with blue corn chips on the side). Then we cleaned up and I went to bed for my three hours of sleep. I've been up since around 10:30 last night (it's just after 4:00 a.m. now). I made the mistake of having a sugary, carb-heavy snack bar when I woke up and now I feel kind of sick to my stomach. So that's fun.


1 comment:

Ruthy said...

Which program did you get acceptance & when do you start if that's the one you pick?
So glad kitty's better.