Saturday, February 18, 2017

Bad Friday Turned Out Ok

Another week down, thankfully.

I had a horrible, tiring week, but I made it through. And I got a stellar grade--a perfect score--on my first paper, which stood in stark contrast to several fellow students who got failing grades on the assignment. That was the highlight of the week. The rest of the week was tiring and tedious, which feed on each other.

I'm over the early morning commute, so it's lucky that I got a space in the class of the closer campus. Now I'll spend 8 - 12 minutes in the car each way instead of 35-40 minutes each way. That will really help.

I had a bad attitude all day, which was made worse by poor instruction (from poor instructors). I sometimes get the feeling that the more distant campus is where they park the dud instructors--like being exiled to Siberia--instead of dealing with having to fire them. I've got a couple of those types of winners this semester, the kind who think that "teaching" means telling us how difficult our program is--but then don't actually teach the material, but instead hour after hour telling personal hospital horror stories or googling videos for us to watch in class. (Yes, an instructor actually googled a youtube video and showed it to the class when she was asked a basic question that she couldn't answer.)

So I'm over it the crap instructors. I just have to work on keeping my skeptical face more neutral and keeping my mouth shut when I want to make a sarcastic comment.

Anyway, I wrote that after I got home on Friday.

Later, Dave and I went to dinner with Judi and Paul, to a new French restaurant in town. We had a feast. I had cheese and grilled pears and a big, gorgeous New York strip steak, and champagne. We all shared a baked Alaska for dessert. Dinner went a long way toward correcting my bad mood.

Today was kind of an uneven day. We went to--or tried to go--to lunch at one of our favorite Japanese restaurants and, after we placed our order, we waited over 90 minutes with nothing. My brother texted to ask us to pick him up from the hospital, so we had to cancel our lunch order. The waiter was so apologetic and gave us a gift certificate for two free meals (which we tried to turn down as we know what it's like to be so slammed that the kitchen backs up and no food comes out). We did end up taking the gift certificate and leaving a large tip for the waters and the appetizer that came out just as we were leaving.

I went to the hospital to pick up my brother and then I took him back to his house.

Dave and I still hadn't had lunch, so we went out for vegan Thai food. Then we swung by Target for a few things. After that, we came home and gave Saba her medication at the right time--then we ran back out to pick up my brother's prescriptions for him.

We just got home a bit ago. I have another paper due tomorrow that I've only got the barest outline of--I should be working on it right now--but instead I'm laying on the bed with Saba, rewatching What We Do in the Shadows on Amazon. Dave is practicing his clarinet.

Tomorrow is another day.

Addendum:

Ah, Saba has suddenly started being a cat again. Her stitches from having her eye removed came out and the big plastic collar that was keeping her from scratching at them also went away. She started eating all on her own (not much though, so the tube feedings continue), which she hasn't done in months. She gave herself an abbreviated bath, which she hasn't done in 6 months or more. Today, she scratched at the door to go out, something she hasn't done in a long, long time.

She started following Dave around a bit again, too, an old habit of hers that was so amusing to us when she first started doing it years ago that we took to calling her "Puppycat" as a joke. So imagine our surprise when we found this:

3 comments:

Carol said...

I want that dinner you had at the french restaurant!
Hope this week goes better, Rosa, and happy to hear Saba is on the mend.
Ughh, the weekends go WAY too quickly.
xo

Rosa said...

Hi, Carol! Thank you!

The weekend FLEW by. I wish I could run about four of them in a row...:(

How have you been? Spring going to chase away the winter blues??

Carol said...

The weather has been crazy warm lately - Saturday it hit the high of 70!! So yeah, that sure does help with the mood :)