Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Mermaids

I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.
 
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

--T.S. Eliot, from The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock, 1920


20140529_191058.jpg

I am fascinated by mermaids. Three of the recent primal figures are mermaids. (Four, if you count the little baby mermaid one of them carries.)

20140520_191559.jpg


This is the mama without the baby.

20140529_191113.jpg

The Weekenders

It was a busy weekend.

Friday afternoon, we went to see Godzilla with a friend and then went to dinner at an upscale pizza place. (I ate way too much salty pizza after weeks of following a low-salt diet. Had to chug about two gallons of water after that.) We came home by way of the Co-op so we could buy the stuff to make green chile stew for a potluck on Saturday.

Saturday was eaten up by Glaze Club (we talked about raku glazes and re-glazing and re-firing work) and a going-away potluck for one of the young men who works there. After that, I loaded a bisque kiln to fire the figures that were dry enough. Sunday I got some time to work on my things and unload the kiln. I brought home the bisqued figures with the idea that I'll paint them with acrylics.

We also ran a bunch of errands on Sunday, going to the pharmacy, plant nursery, Goodwill, YMCA, and grocery store.

On Monday, Dave went back to work after nine days of vacation time and I took my brother to a doctor's appointment. Dave and I went to Costco after that. I dread Costco sometimes, simply because I hate crowds.

No comments: