Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Post-Labor Day Day

Where did that long weekend go?

Saturday I had class. I spent part of the morning clearing out my book bag from last semester's detritus, including a fairly large spider that had taken up residence among the final exams and flash cards and pencils. Then I went to class. Then I came home and slept.

Sunday we drove to Santa Fe to look in The Museum of Indian Arts & Culture which had an amazing exhibit of modern Indian art called Into the Future: Culture Power in Native American Art. After we left the museum, we went to a chocolate shop that I've been wanting to visit and we bought about $30 worth of chocolate things that we are still working our way through. (It wasn't that much chocolate at Santa Fe prices, but there were a few interesting ones in there including a mescal flavored one and a really gorgeous salted caramel one.)

We came home the long way, a nice Sunday drive.

No photos were allowed in the museum, but here is a peek inside our box of chocolates:
20160904_145151.jpg

Monday we went to the studio and I did a little work on the big sculpture.
20160905_140836.jpg
I used a graphite drawing pencil to sketch on the bones, vertebrae, ribs, and scapulae.
20160905_140930.jpg
Then I began underglazing them in.  Judi remarked that it looked like she has scoliosis because the cervical vertebrae twist slightly to one side, but that it because her head sits tilted to one side and the vertebrae curve up into her skull. And now that I look at the sketch on the front, I'll have to redo it to curve the ribs to emphasize the curve of the breasts.

I also worked on the dress, a tedious process of painting black underglaze over everything and then wiping it off. I have only done a little more than half of the dress, but I like the effect so far.

This morning, I've got a few things I need to get done. I have to cancel the second optometrist appointment that I made. (Actually, it was the first appointment I made, but I the other optometrist could see me sooner, so I went to her instead.) Then I have some studying to do. Then I have various other little fussy things to get done around the place.

No comments: