Saturday, January 7, 2017

Sew Buttons

It has been quite awhile since I updated, hasn't it? Christmas has come and gone--quietly, thankfully--as has New Year's. Saba is continuing to get better slowly, all but for her eyes, which are in some danger.  We shall see.


As for me, I have spent the break between semesters doing some sewing. I bought a new machine, a Janome 2212--not a fancy computerized model, but a mechanical workhorse. I then went out and spent way too much money on fabric, thread, the nicest pair of scissors I've ever owned (dressmakers shears made in Italy), and a bunch of other stuff.

The first thing I sewed was a collar for Saba that fits over her feeding tube and protects it from being bumped. (One of our not-happy surprises around Christmas was her feeding tube catching on something and getting pulled out completely, which meant that she had to go to the vet and have it put back in.) The collar folds the dangling end of the feeding tube over and holds it in place with velcro. The first one I sewed was too wide, so I made a second one, narrower.

After that, I sewed a few things off the cuff, so to speak, from tutorials I found on youtube. I sewed a large, zippered, cosmetic bag with Day of the Dead fabric lined in red polka dots. (I've never sewn in a zipper before.) I sewed a couple of pocket tissue holders out of a fat quarter of Wonder Woman-themed fabric lined with zebra stripes.

Then I made Dave go to the fabric store with me. There, he picked out some flannel for a couple of pairs of pajama pants. From the "nursery" section, he choose two patterns, one of cartoony insects  on a navy background and another of cartoony sloths on a pale blue background. I sewed the insects first and they were huge. Huge is generally fine for pajama pants, but these were a bit out of control so before sewing the sloths up, I watched a video on how to adjust the crotch to make them less baggy. After he wore the sloth ones awhile, he asked for me to add pockets, so I added patch pockets pieced out of the scraps. (I'll add pockets to the insect ones soon, too.)

Whenever I wasn't sewing, I was watching youtube sewing tutorials and reading sewing blogs. One of the blogs led me to a Vogue pattern--yes, Vogue sells patterns--that caught my imagination. It's a long, tiered skirt (which I am not in the habit of wearing, but I just loved it). It's hard to explain, so let me see if I can find a picture.
The tiers at the bottom are just perfect, I think. They can be tied up or let down. I want to make a version in black linen, but I settled this time for a practice run of dark plum-colored broadcloth. It will probably not drape very well, but it was a third of the price of the linen. (Once I have a successful version of it under my belt, I'll invest in the linen.)

In addition to the broadcloth, I loaded up on more flannel (purple and blue) to make myself a robe. I also picked up some green patterned canvas from clearance section that I'm going to use to make a messenger bag. Then I bought some actual muslin because I want to try to either paint or print on it.

Okay, that's a lot of fabric!

2 comments:

Helen said...

Now you know why I won't let my husband get me a sewing machine! Material is just as addictive as yarn!

Good for you though. That skirt is very interesting...are you sure about linen though? Won't that get really, really wrinkly?

The pajamas sound like a great idea though. I have a hard time finding good ones. Flannel would be nice and warm for these strange unheated apartments over here!

I'm sorry to hear that Saba's eyes are still at risk. I hope she'll recover.

Enjoy the rest of your break. We're on a 3 day weekend here. Woot!!

Rosa said...

Hi Helen! I hope you enjoyed your 3 day weekend!

I have to say, you're very smart to avoid a sewing machine! I've probably spent more on fabric and notions in the past week than I have on clothes in the past 6 months or more!! YIKES!!

I do love the skirt and plan to make it even though I haven't worn a skirt in perhaps 9 years (?), so the linen will stay nice and unwrinkled on a hanger in the closet. LOL! After that, I want to start sewing some things that I can and will wear. Last night I sat down and sewed a messenger bag with a cross-body strap that is actually long enough and doesn't strangle me, so that was fun. And I actually used up about 4 yards of my growing fabric stash!

I don't know how you live through snowy winters in a place without cetral heating and using a kerosene heater! I suppose one adapts, but I'm such a wimp about the cold that I would probably be sleeping in long underwear, socks, hat, gloves, and a hot water bottle at a minimum! Brrrr!!!