Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Miles to Go (Tuesday Update)

It's Tuesday, the start of my school week. I had class today. Before class, I was sitting in the library in my scrubs (we have to wear our scrubs to school, as it's considered to be our school uniform) and a woman came up to me and asked if I was in the program. I told her I was and she asked if she could ask me some questions. She's taking the entrance test tomorrow and wanted to know if I could give her any pointers about the chemistry part of the exam. I gave her some advice, but mostly encouragement. (I don't remember much about the entrance exam as I took almost four (!) semesters ago.)

I had class in the late morning/early afternoon. I keep forgetting that class goes until 3:15. I was ready to pack up at 2:30. (That's when clinicals end.)

Today I sat with Kaitlyn, a young woman who came out of high school with an associate's degree and who is now working on her bachelors while working two jobs, and Michelle, a drop-dead gorgeous Native American veteran who is a single mother and who works full time and goes to school full time. I don't understand how these women do it. I mean, I guess you just do. But I came home and climbed back into my pajamas and lay in bed watching youtube videos just to recover from four hours of class. I can't imagine getting up and going to work or going home and taking care of kids. I mean, how?!

It was kind of chilly and breezy today. Fall is here or about to be.

On the way to my car, I heard a woman yelling, "She called me "baby"! Did everyone hear that? I'm her baby!" and it turned out to be two young women who just started dating and who were walking with their arms around each other back to their car--which happened to be parked next to mine. I congratulated them and said that they made a cute couple and they beamed at me.

It's going to be a busy week. I have class tomorrow then a simulation lab--more mannequins--on Thursday. Clinicals officially started last Thursday, but I won't have my first day at the hospital with patients until Friday.

Dave stayed home from work today; he's got some kind of stomach bug. He thinks stomach flu, but I think food poisoning. I've also been fighting off something. The lymph nodes behind my right ear, the ones that always go nuts when I get sick, are going nuts. I would get into a warm bath and then into bed, but I have three chapters to read from my "management and leadership" textbook. It's an interesting subject ruined by one of the most poorly written textbooks I have ever read. It's pseudo-intellectual babble and I have to slog through about sixty pages of it tonight.

Miles to go before I sleep. Or something.


No comments: