Saturday, April 28, 2018

Catch Up

Sometime last week:

Last night I couldn't sleep very well. I've been having massive anxiety all week, including a wonderfully prolonged anxiety attack Sunday night. It's wreaking havoc on my sleep schedule--along with everything else.

Since I was up in the night, I fished around on Amazon and Netflix for something to watch and came up with Gone with the Wind, which I haven't seen in 20 years or more. It was never my favorite, but I did read the book (one of my friends in middle school was enamored with it to the extent that she took up Scarlett O'Hara's exclamations like "Fiddle-de-dee" and she lent me her beloved copy to read) and watched the movie a million years ago on VHS. Anyway, this time I skipped over great chunks of it but it was interesting to see it again.

Dave got up around 6:30 to start getting ready for work, and I was only about halfway through it, so I chatted with him and then went back and finished it up around 8:00 a.m. I had to meet my brother at 10, but I was tired enough that I managed to sleep for about an hour before getting up at 9:15 to down some coffee and get ready.

After I left my brother's, I came home and cleaned the bathroom counter off and scrubbed the sink, then I had some lunch, texted Dave and lay down for a nap.

When Dave came home, we had a very quick dinner, did a quick tidy up. While I was casting about for things to watch in these last few days of my break, I rented Coco and Only Lovers Left Alive on Amazon. (I have 30 days to watch them), so I started watching Only Lovers. After a bit, Dave and I went out to Target and Walgreens for some miscellaneous things.

We just got home and I'm ready to go back to Only Lovers. I like it, though it is heartily pretentious, even for a Jim Jarmusch movie. (I say that, though one of his movies--Ghost Dog--is one of my all time favorite movies.)

Sometime this weekend:

Still up in the night, I watched (re-watched, as I saw it years and years ago) My Man Godfrey, which won William Powell the best actor Oscar in 1936, I believe. It's a decent depression era film and pure Oscar bait, but stands up (mostly) to repeated viewings.

Dave took the day off Friday.  We were going to go to the museum to see an exhibition of Leonardo da Vinci stuff, but when we got there the museum was packed and I wasn't particularly interested in having a crowd-related meltdown, so instead we went off and had lunch at our favorite Japanese place. We split a veggie tempura appetizer and then I had karaage and Dave had tofu curry. When we left, the place was starting to get busy and the normally mild-mannered server was starting to look a little frayed around the edges.

After lunch, Dave went off and ran an errand with my brother, but when he got back, we packed up and headed up to Santa Fe. We didn't really have a plan aside from a visit to our favorite strange and beautiful and overpriced chocolate shop, so we made that our first stop. We each ordered hot chocolate (which they make old school, literally just a fine, grainy, unsweetened dark chocolate blended into hot water) and a shared cookie. We also picked out a couple of handfuls of chocolate truffles to bring home. And as if that weren't enough, Dave decided to try their ice cream, a very light chocolate with chocolate nibs, which I love. I love chocolate nibs. Why don't we eat more of them? (Maybe I'll get some while we're out today buying groceries.)

Anyway, uh. Oh, yes. After the chocolate shop, we stopped by a little independent fabric store that I like. They carry a lot of Kaffe Fassett fabrics, which are loud, colorful, and odd (my favorite kind of fabric), but I didn't get any of those. Instead, I picked up a couple of Virgin Mary prints (one light, one dark), a fat quarter of a black-and-white print that looks at first glance like a classic toile but on closer inspection reveals itself to be full of calaveras in Victorian dress. Dave picked out another black-and-white print of insects and animals and I told him I would make him a couple of new pillowcases with it if he also picked out a border fabric. After combing the store, we settled on a print of dark green ginko leaves against a black background.

I love to buy fabric, and someday hope to actually get around to using it! Though the plan is for Dave to get two new pillowcases and for me to use the Virgin Mary prints to make myself a new small cross-body bag as my other one has taken a bit of a beating over the last several months and I have lots of little modifications I want to make to it.

I fell quickly and soundly asleep on the drive home, which wreaked havoc on my neck and I kept slumping forward. Ugh.

When we got home, I was having kind of a blood sugar crash, so we (mostly Dave) made dinner (sweet potato fries, faux chicken strips, streamed orange cauliflower, and light gravy) and I followed it up with a salty caramel square from the chocolate shop. Just to, you know, jolt my blood sugar.

After dinner, I worked on the homework assignment that's due on Monday morning. I thought it was going to be a bear, but it was just a series of med administration calculations. Nothing terrible. Took me about twenty minutes to work through half of it.

I was very quickly fading, so I got ready for bed and chose another movie to fall asleep to, a 1940 film called Cheers for Miss Bishop. I didn't last five minutes before I was out again. I woke in the night briefly and lay there listening to a scene of a timid student reciting the Declaration of Independence in a vaguely foreign accent. Is this enough to judge a movie on? Maybe I'll re-watch it someday.

No comments: