Monday, April 23, 2018

Spring

Had to set my alarm for 5:45 a.m. this morning to make a 7:00 a.m. doctor's appointment. That's a taste of what's to come next week, when I start school and clinicals and my alarms get reset for 4:30 a.m....and 4:45 a.m. and 5:00 a.m.  I'm not looking forward to that.

I'm in a bit of a rut right now. I have a to-do list the length of my arm and absolutely zero motivation to get anything at all done. I started to put up my sewing machine and its assorted detritus and then just abandoned the task. My half-cleaned desk is collecting dust. I did half the dishes, cleaned half the bathroom...Everything half-way done.


Dave and I went to the studio yesterday and I made one small thing and played with Buzz the rest of the time. He's such a delight. We ran around Judi's tiny backyard, playing with a little stuffed toy he has that giggles when he chews on it. Dave trimmed some pieces he threw last week and then put handles on three mugs. We made plans to take Paul out to dinner mid-week, since Judi will be off on her annual trip with her college friends.

We came home via the Thai vegan restaurant where we had a completely disappointing meal served by a well-meaning but completely inept server. But at least we didn't have to cook, right? That's a good thing.

Let's see what else.

I watched a couple of movies this week. I finally saw The Shape of Water, which I liked (though not as much as Pan's Labyrinth). I followed it up with Crimson Peak. (I don't think I've seen Tom Hiddleston in anything besides the recent Thor movie, but I like him.) Now I'm in the middle of Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. (I love Frances McDormand.) And I'm still binging on Two's Company (though my style of binging is to watch the whole series and then obsessively rewatch episodes until The Brain gets sick of them.) I'm also slowly wending my way through a book (Welcome to the Goddamn Ice Cube: Chasing Fear and Finding Home in the Great White North) that I've been taking nibbles of for months.

I've been ordering some things to get ready for the coming term. I ordered a new pair of ugly white Crocs, the ones that are made without holes and with a higher back, so that they can be worn in work settings, like the hospital. I've also sorted through my papers from last term (which is why my desk if half cleaned) and reorganized my textbooks, which had spun out of control, flinging themselves all over the casita. I still have to clean out the garbage that's built up under my desk and dust the bookshelves...charge my computers... do some homework...ugh.

The Brain is not liking this break much. I'm halfway torn between just wanting to get things over with and wanting to extend this break forever so that I can do some things I haven't been able to do for awhile now, travel being one of them. We had planned an overnight trip for this coming weekend (school starts Monday), but Gray Kitty is back on twice daily doses of antibiotics, so there goes that.

I feel very apathetic. I wonder how much the recent doubling of my antihypertensive dose is contributing to this feeling. Well, that and the traditional post-semester let down. And allergies. And the usual springtime blues that I've been dealing with for decades.


Ah, spring.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Loved Three Billboards and Frances McDormand too. She's so great. I thought Crimson Peak was a great looking film, but wasn't that great. However, I like Tom Hiddleston so there's that! The Shape of Water hasn't played near me yet, but it is coming soon...I want to see it. I've watched a bit of Pan's Labyrinth, but the subtitles were in Japanese, so couldn't really understand it. Amazing visuals.

I remember Two's Company. It was pretty funny. I hope you enjoy it for a while.

Enjoy the rest of your break. I'm wasting time when I should be writing my column. Sigh. At least I wrote about movies here though!!

Rosa said...

Hi Helen!

I know what you mean about Crimson Peak. It was only okay and I expect a lot more from Guillermo del Toro's films! I think you'll like The Shape of Water. It has a very fable-like feel to it, mixed with a modern-day monster movie. Very strange, but appealing.

It seems like it'd be fun to write about movies (and it would be nice to have a reason to keep up with the latest movies out there, especially for English-speakers in JP), but I suspect it's also kind of grind to do reviews/critiques.

My break is fast running out, but I'm trying to make the most of these lazy days!