Sunday, November 25, 2018

New Work(ing)

I've been dealing on and off all day with an allergic reaction to something. It started--well, it started a couple of weeks ago with the ol' familiar facial swellings, but today it started with my lower slip swelling as we were waiting for lunch at Magokoro. I took part of a Benadryl and had my lunch and came home and got into bed and let the Benadryl knock me out cold.

A couple of hours later, Dave and I went to the studio (more on that in a minute) and met up with Grace and Chris to do some work.  I had a blood sugar crash at the studio (white rice and vegetables for lunch turned out to be not so great for my blood sugar--who knew?) and then, while we were waiting for our dinner at Gyros, my face again started to swell. (I think it was also a result of the original Benadryl wearing off.) It was a little scarier because I could feel part of the back of my throat swelling up. (Hives--or whatever these things are--aren't known for causing airway problems, so that's good. On the other hand, no doctor or allergist I've been to has been able to identify the cause of these swellings, despite allergy tests, etc. So when these episodes happen--usually in November, every 2-3 years--I just take Benadryl and hope that the doctors are right about the airway thing and I'm not going to have an anaphylactic response that kills me.

It's the little things, right?)

Here are some good things about today:

1. A texted conversation with Kelly that made me laugh and a bouquet of flowers from Kelly that made me think of spring.

2. Lunch out with Dave at our favorite Japanese place. We shared vegetable tempura as an appetizer and then I, loathe to leave the fried vegetables behind, ordered vegetable tempura donburi for my lunch. So much deep fried goodness!

3. Studio time with Dave, Chris, and Grace.

I worked on the new piece:
20181124_183530.jpg
I added the rain clouds and the raindrops, all the way around the skirt.
20181124_183533.jpg
Then I started to build the top part. Since it's built in two pieces, and I like to work fairly wet, it's kind of a pain to figure out how to keep the new top part from bonding to the bottom part. Today it involved a lot of newspaper. (Actually, most of my work involves a lot of newspaper.) I didn't get very far, but I did make a start.

I finally have a vision, too, for what the top half is going to look like. We'll see if I can make it happen.

5. Benadryl

No comments: