Friday, November 9, 2018

Twenty-One Days

Democrats prevailed in the elections against republican gerrymandering, voter disenfranchisement of minority voters, and outright cheating (as in Georgia and Florida). New Mexico is sending an all-democratic, all people of color group to the House in January. There are still votes to be counted in key races throughout the nation, though republicans are trying to keep every single vote from being counted. (I wonder what republicans are afraid will happen if every single vote is counted. Why do they not want certain people--usually brown and black people--to vote. Hmmmm. I wonder.) And Trump is shaking is stupid little orange fists in fury and continuing to spew his rabid, rancid hatred and racism. (And what else is new?)

Kelly is in the hospital waiting for surgery. We're sending all of our best thoughts and wishes and vibes her way. She's going to be just fine because there is no other choice but for her to be fine.

Gray Kitty came home from the hospital yesterday. He continues to be our million dollar stray kitty after a three-day stay in the emergency vet ICU. He's still on antibiotics three times a day, but otherwise he is doing fine. We were prompted to take him to the emergency vet because after a few days of his not feeling well, he sat up on the bed and vomited up a large amount of foul-smelling liquid. (In other news: A new mattress arrived from Amazon today.)

I had lunch with one of my friends from school on Wednesday. She is from Kenya and can't yet vote in American elections, but she was happy with the election outcomes. We talk often about the racism she and other black and African-Americans experience in this country, particularly in school and at work in the hospitals. One of our African-American classmates was called a "gorilla" to his face by a patient and his response was a cool, "Well, that's one I haven't heard before." But did he treat the patient any differently because of it? Of course not. But that's the kind of thing that brown and black students have to deal with and it's getting worse. (That's not my imagination. Every person of color I've talked to who works in a hospital has confirmed it. My friend told me, "I used to get called a n***** a few times a month before. But since Trump was elected, it happens almost every day." Just in case you were wondering if having a proud white nationalist in the white house was having an effect on the other racists.)

On Thursday, my brother and I ran some errands and then stopped for lunch and giant fizzy drinks. On our way home, we drove past some fields in the valley where cranes and geese are stopping on their migration to their winter homes.

I'm continuing to study for my boards. Most of my classmates have taken it, but I am taking my time about it. (My friend said, "Just go take it. You're the only one I know who could pass it without studying.") My goal is to have taken it and gotten a job by the end of this month. I'm ready for my life to change again.

No comments: