Friday, May 17, 2019

Midtown

I should be doing more blogging on this trip, but I only have my phone with me and phone blogging is a D-R-A-G drag.

We're staying in midtown, about half a block from Times Square. Despite that, our hotel room is relatively quiet for midtown Manhattan--only the usual construction noise, sirens, honking drivers, etc.

Yesterday Dave and I had lunch with an old friend (who Dave works with, mostly remotely,  but who I haven't seen in a decade). I should have taken a few photos, but I hate having my picture taken and he hates having his picture taken, so I didn't drag out my phone to take pictures.

We had ok sushi in a tiny sushi place near 30 Rockefeller Center, where their offices are, and then we went into the tiny subterranean warren inside 30 Rock to find coffee.  We were all loathe to end our lunch, so we stood outside the elevators chatting until the glorified receptionist they work with saw us and came over to chat and that kind of broke up the party.

I walked the 3 blocks back to the hotel via a small chain cafe where I picked up a salad to supplement my meager sashimi lunch (their version of tekka don, which was 5 or so thin slices of tuna in a bento box with a cup of sushi rice (which I don't eat), a few slices of cooked burdock root and some bamboo shoot pickles, $25).

At the hotel, I got back into my pajamas and ate my salad and took a nap.

These are some photos from my phone: a window display, some midtown ginkgo trees near our hotel, blue skies after 3 days of solid gray and cold rain, and a near deserted Times Square (because of said rain).






The other morning while we were walking through Times Square on a mission to hit up the closest drugstore, we passed one of the many television studios and a young blonde woman in a headset approached us to ask if we wanted to be part of the audience for Good Morning, America (blech, no thanks) and as we walked away, I said jokingly to Dave,  "Do we look like tourists?!"

No comments: