Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Fragile

 Last night after we finished dinner, I got the worst pain along the row of upper teeth on my right side. It felt like an exposed nerve throbbing, like simultaneous cavities along four or five molars on that side. Long story short, it was sinus pain radiating into my teeth, something that's been happening every spring for the last several years.  We shut off the fan (which acts as a dehumidifier) and Dave set up the humidifier. I took a hot shower and rinsed my nose with saline to clear out anything that might be lurking there and then I lay down with my nose plugged and with a heating pad pressed to the sinus area on that side of my face. I managed to get some sleep overnight this way and I felt a little better by this afternoon--but now it's starting to get worse so I'm sitting next to the humidifier breathing in as much moisture as I can. 

When I wasn't sleeping, I watched a documentary about Philip Guston, the American painter. It was an interesting documentary made the year (1980) before he died of a heart attack. He's not as well known as some of his contemporaries (not to me anyway), but one of his paintings was featured on a recent MOMA youtube video and it was sufficiently intriguing for me to seek out and learn more about him and his work.

For lunch today we decided on Chinese take out from one of our favorite places and when we got it home, it was only okay. Worse, I ended up tossing out my entire order of ginger chicken because it tasted off and the last thing I need is to get food poisoning. I didn't bother to call the restaurant to remake it as we had plenty of other food; it was a big blowout treat for us--which makes it all the more disappointing that it was a mediocre food experience. (Normally this place is awesome or at least closer to awesome.) At least we didn't have to cook, right?

Now I'm slamming water in an attempt to mitigate the effects of the sodium from the Chinese food on my blood pressure. (I need to take my blood pressure as I haven't in a long while and it was actually really good last time I checked.)

I always feel so ridiculously fragile in spring, seems like. 

I slept throughout much of the morning and worked a bit in my art journal when I got up. 

It's a beautiful day out and the pollen is still trying to kill me, so I'm staying inside the rest of the day.

No comments: